Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New mk1

Users Country Flag

Mk1 GLS re-spray/semi-resto

hey all, so I picked up my Mk1 about 4 weeks ago. She is a 4 door GLS with very little rust and is very straight, apart from 1 dent on the rear right door. At the moment its still got rego, so I'm going to drive it and sort out a few bits and pieces on it till the rego runs out, then I will probably take it off the road and Im, hoping to strip it out, clean up the little bits of rust I've seen, and re-spray, not 100% sure how exactly and to what extent, whether i strip it back to metal or just re-paint what needs to be painted.
    So here are a few pics, hoping to eventually get a different engine, but the stock 1600 will do for now as it was reconditioned 20xxx kms ago. maybe someone knows what the best thing to do is with the carbie? as its burning HEAPS of fuel and idles at 2000rpm's, rebuild? tune?
    any thoughts are appreciated.
    so here are the pics

In my messy as Backyard, behind my ugly stock mk5(orange badges, idk what i was thinking)

wheels i picked up for $50, cleaning them up

got a left hand side mirror(didnt have one) and a quarter window and re-installed the right hand side one also

The Worst rust i have found so far(on the hatch)

wheels and caps painted, need one more coat at this stage

Doorcards; I made up a CAD drawing of them and had them laser cut at uni from 3mm mdf, and Ill cover them to match once i choose a material for seats and everything else(I'm happy to share the file if anyone wants it, PM me)

They fit well, but i screwed the measurement up for the window winder, but i will modify that if someone wants the file

also painted the edges so they don't stink like hell from the laser cutting and so that moisture doesnt creep in till i can cover them.

Thats all for now, but there will be more
    Jonasz
    Last edited by polski_ogurek; 26-09-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Mine: -MK5 Golf 2.0TDI[Deiselgeek sigma 6 shifter + H&R 50mm lowering springs + GTI Tartan interior + Audi 18x8 A6 wheels(Dark Steel)]
    -MK1 Golf The re-spray/re-build
    In the family: -MK5 Jetta 2.0TDI, -9N3 Polo TDI, -6R Polo TDI, -Mitsubishi S^$&box van
    A pattern seems to be forming...

Users Country Flag
    Great stuff, looks like a good project.

The door cards are pretty cool - well done on taking the initiative.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Users Country Flag
    Hey, nice find! Good to see that you have made some door cards, although with the high chance of moisture in a mk1 i think MDF is not ideal. Mine have been re-made from MDF and are starting to turn to dust gradually! I would like to make a set out of a plastic sheeting that will not be affected by a bit of water!. So that CAD file will def come in use! what format is it in? If you dont mind sending it to me that would be awesome! ill PM you my email.
    1976 Mk1 LS 2L ABA K-Jet

Users Country Flag
    I just realised that your car is 4 door and mine is 2 door!!!
    But i can edit it nonetheless, will still save some time!
    1976 Mk1 LS 2L ABA K-Jet

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yea, its for the 4door, but I would say theres a fair amount of it you could still use, I'll send it through once i have ur email address, umm ,i think its in 2012, but im a student so it was done in the student version, so if u export, just check it doesnt say 'created by a student version' or whatever.
    And i would have loved to go for some plastic with mine, but i just can't afford it at this time, and i was able to cut them at uni for $5 plus $19 for the mdf, not bad considering.
    Mine: -MK5 Golf 2.0TDI[Deiselgeek sigma 6 shifter + H&R 50mm lowering springs + GTI Tartan interior + Audi 18x8 A6 wheels(Dark Steel)]
    In the family: -MK5 Jetta 2.0TDI, -9N3 Polo TDI, -6R Polo TDI, -Mitsubishi S^$&box van

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I should be able to use most of it!
    That is a pretty cheap price for doorcards, good stuff.
    Ill see what happens with the file format...
    1976 Mk1 LS 2L ABA K-Jet

So I got stuck into it this morning and ripped out the carpets and seats, as I wanted to check there really wasn't any rust, as the front window leaks atm, so i was very glad to see only one little spot about 8mm in size right in the middle of the drivers footwell and nothing on the passengers side. when i have time again I'll try get some dry ice and get soem of the sound deadening off, make sure there isnt any hiding underneath that, and if thats the case then i will be one very happy chappy.
    So here's some pics

finally carpet out, and this crappy underlay left

So clean, still need to remove the sound deadening

little bit of rust in the centre there

Thats all for this time, oh and i did one more coat on the wheels, will still seal them with clear, then a quick polish

Jonasz

Users Country Flag
    Awesome progress! Those door cards are a great idea. What are you studying at uni? Loving the blue interior too!
    # 76 Mk1 16v In Progress # 2011 6R Polo GTI *Sorely Missed*

I don't mind the blue interior, but the front seats have had it from the sun and are cracked and hacked, so I will keep the cover of the back seat, and the doorcards for now, but will recover everything in a plaid material, have a few i can choose from atm. and i need to source some new front seats from somewhere, that will hold people better maybe
    I'm studying Master of Architecture atm, and have completed a bachelor of Architecture and this is my side project, when i have some time off
    Keen to get really into it, but i don't think i will honestly have much time between now and December because of uni

so not much has been going on with the golf of late, as I'm busy at uni most days, however i was going to weld up frames for some new seats I got(to be recovered) on Sunday, but turns out dad left the argon at his work, so i had to organise to get that, and now im missing a brass fitting, that I'll have to buy, then I'll weld them up, but till then anyone got any hints or tips for a Noob at welding, havent done it before, and dads overseas so im flying solo on this one.
    Cheers,
    Oh and i got some clear on the wheels, hoping to find some tyres soon, should i go a 185 or a 195 for tyres?? on the 14x6 steelies

Thanks for any help
    Jonasz

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast