Support VWWC

Thread: Focal IS speaker upgrades?

Focal IS speaker upgrades?

I find the speakers in the MK7 Golf R to be very average, but ok for a factory system.

I want a budget friendly upgrade option for better sound, so looking at the Focal IS155 components. Any one have these and how do they sound?

Trying to avoid going aftermarket if possible and wanting to keep everything looking as OEM as possible.

I miss the Dynaudio sound from my old R36.
    '18 MY18.5 MK3.5 Octavia vRS245
    Previous - 2015 MY16 MK7 R, 2010 MY10 R36 DSG, 2010 MK6 Golf GTI DSG // APR Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Jetta TFSI DSG // Revo Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Golf GTI Manual

Users Country Flag
    I installed a set of the Focal IS155 component speakers recently in my MK7 GTI. I uploaded some photos and my initial thoughts in this post. I will let the speakers "run in" over the next month or two and I will provide another updated review.

My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

"New Focal IS VW 155 speakers fitted front and rear along with soundproofing all of the inner door skins. These are a nice affordable (<$450 delivered from the UK) upgrade over the factory speakers, and combined with the soundproofing, give the stereo more clarity and bass. Im not sure if its any louder overall, but definitely clearer and stronger bass."
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I just went down the same track with my mk8R except i also had the rears fitted with the IC165, and the focal 4.320 amp fitted as well. TBH, I couldn’t be happier. Quality of sound is so much nicer, there’s plenty of bass (considering no subwoofer), and it’s plenty loud enough at half volume. System is still new so more improvement apparently to look forward to, Focal claim about 30hrs before speakers are ‘run in’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jacs8 View Post
    I just went down the same track with my mk8R except i also had the rears fitted with the IC165, and the focal 4.320 amp fitted as well. TBH, I couldn’t be happier. Quality of sound is so much nicer, there’s plenty of bass (considering no subwoofer), and it’s plenty loud enough at half volume. System is still new so more improvement apparently to look forward to, Focal claim about 30hrs before speakers are ‘run in’. PS. From what ive listened to, it leaves the optional HK system for dead !