Thread: Amarok 2.0TDI FAQ and Common problems

Users Country Flag

Amarok 2.0TDI FAQ and Common problems

Common faults -

The Amarok’s 2.0TDI is quite robust engine and as long as it’s well maintained is reliable.

The things to look out for;

1.EGR Cooler failure, more like degradation and really should be replaced as a part of preventative maintenance. If you’ve done over 50,000km checking the condition of coolant in the coolant reservoir/expansion bottle once a week or every 500km could save your engine.
    2.Condition of the accessories belt, if yours is in bad condition and you aren’t sure you have updated timing cover and the pulleys, replace it ASAP. Yes when the belt breaks, it’s known to find the way in behind the harmonic balancer and derails the timing belt, causing big damage to the valves and potentially pistons too.
    3.The rear wheel speed sensors are also known to fail in some.

The 8sp ZF Auto has very good reputation for reliability and fast, smooth gear changes.

Alternator charging voltage?
    Last edited by Transporter; 08-07-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Tyre and rim sizes, wheel bolts tightening torque (180Nm)
    Volkswagen Amarok 2016 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com
    Last edited by Transporter; 28-08-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for your post Transporter. As a new second hand Amarok owner I’m taking it all onboard. I noticed my new (2012) Amarok still has the original timing belt cover on it despite being serviced by VW throughout its history. How should I track down an upgraded cover? I can’t seem to find them online anywhere.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Get it from the dealer, it’s not that expensive.

Users Country Flag
    Will do thanks

Users Country Flag

G'Day Forum,

Wifey and I are contemplating buying a hybrid caravan and towing it around with my 2019 2.0 Ltr Amarok. Towing weight will likely be in the high 2's plus camping bric a brac in the tray. Any general comment on the towing performance of the 2 litre, plus fuel consumption, effect on speed etc.etc.

Should I post this Q on another more specific thread?

Apprentice