Thread: Total newbie - VCDS/ODIS help needed | Sydney CBD area

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb Total newbie - VCDS/ODIS help needed | Sydney CBD area

Hi everyone!

I'm a total newbie to VCDS/ODIS and vehicle coding in general. It would help greatly if I could get answers to the following questions:

- I'm currently trying to diagnose the MMI system on my old Q5, is there anyone near who can help? Tea, coffee or beer will be provided depends on what you're after

- I'm thinking about getting a coding system myself (I have IT background so using the software would be the easier part) but got real confused by the plethora cables available (5054a / 6154 / VAG / Hex? and a lot more). Which one do I need? and are specific versions of cables locked to specific softwares?

- Speaking of softwares, VCDS or ODIS? and are the cables interchangeable or specific?

- I see cables being sold at very different prices, is there some catch? Could I just use this one?
    Vcd for Hex V2 V2 20.4 Professional Edition Wireless Diagnostic Connector Usb Interface Car Fault Diagnostic Cable|Power Tool Sets| - AliExpress

Cheers
    Last edited by queuefive; 19-07-2021 at 05:21 PM.

May have to wait until the end of lockdown.

Users Country Flag
    Firstly ODIS is VW software and afaik only works online from a dealers equipment. (I could be wrong but thats what they told me)

The cheap VCDS cables are nowhere near as good as the real ones and pirate software is not discussed on here.

An OBD Eleven may do the job for $250 as to buy VCDS cable and licence from Rosstech is probably over $500
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Im thinking forum member Kamold will chime in and be able to help you. He is one of the resident VW/Audi electronics gurus and I understand he has ODIS. He is in Sydney also.

Otherwise, get in touch with VCDS Coding & Diagnostics Sydney and see if they can help you. Link to VCDS Sydney
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Hit me up after lockdown. I have a VCDS cable that should be able to help you out

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by queuefive View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm a total newbie to VCDS/ODIS and vehicle coding in general. It would help greatly if I could get answers to the following questions:

- I'm currently trying to diagnose the MMI system on my old Q5, is there anyone near who can help? Tea, coffee or beer will be provided depends on what you're after

- I'm thinking about getting a coding system myself (I have IT background so using the software would be the easier part) but got real confused by the plethora cables available (5054a / 6154 / VAG / Hex? and a lot more). Which one do I need? and are specific versions of cables locked to specific softwares?

- Speaking of softwares, VCDS or ODIS? and are the cables interchangeable or specific?

- I see cables being sold at very different prices, is there some catch? Could I just use this one?
    Vcd for Hex V2 V2 20.4 Professional Edition Wireless Diagnostic Connector Usb Interface Car Fault Diagnostic Cable|Power Tool Sets| - AliExpress

Cheers
    @queuefive; Hi - all very good questions and it is an excellent time to get clarification - before you launch into this new activity (because not surprisingly, these early decisions tend to limit/constrain your future options).

First-off and as I'm sure that you are familiar given your IT background - any device/software that is vaguely successful in commerce is prone to IP theft. Diagnostic devices are no exception (regardless of whether they are VCDS, or ODIS) and the principal reason for the "very different prices" is that the lower priced units are pirate copies of their legitimate counterparts.

Now, I'm not sure how you view IP theft - but the ONLY reason why this scurrilous market exists is because there are willing buyers on the other side of the commercial transaction.

In my experience, I have found that buyers of pirated cables tend to be very self serving in justifying their decision ("it does no harm", "there are lots of other buyers- so my purchase makes no difference", "I'm not accountable - it's the seller who is the villain"). Of course, ALL self delusional rationalizations for the real truth - which is that these buyers are just as responsible for the illegal activity as are sellers!

So - as an important first step - decide where you stand regarding your personal morals and the purchase decision that you are about to make. If you value the absolute lowest price above all else, then pursue the path of those who have made similar decisions and (I suggest) be honest with yourself about how cheaply your value-set is sold!!

If on the other hand you want to buy a legitimate diagnostic cable - then the standout front runners IMHO have to be VCDS, VCP or OBD11. The official ODIS tool is also a very good alternative, but the ongoing costs and the associated infrastructure for stuff like GEKO accounts tends to make this a solution for professionals only.

For the enthusiast market, my experience has been that ALL competitor devices do pretty-much the same thing in terms of reading module values and coding software parameters like adaptation channels and long-code. Of course they do these activities differently - but these aspects are not high purchase decision variables IMO.

Rather, I suggest that you look in particular at the specific limitations of the individual competitor offerings. For example, the current batch of VCDS products are largely differentiated by the number of VINs that can be used with the device. VCP and OBD11 do not have any limitations on VIN usage. However, a limitation for both VCP and OBD11 (now) is the payment of an annual fee - which does not apply to VCDS.

There are other "technical" limitations as well; OBD11 requires good ISP quality at the point of use (not always available) and connection with the dongle is via Bluetooth - whereas non-corded versions of VCDS use wifi for their communications protocols. Also, OBD11 uses Android & IOS operating systems whereas both VCP and VCDS are ostensibly MS Windows based.

Then there is the question of programming module firmware (distinct from long-code/channel modifications): VCDS cannot do this, but VCP can program this aspect of module software. OBD11 is also sold as having this capability in a very rudimentary form albeit I have never been able to get this function to work

And finally (and notwithstanding the decision to buy a legitimate diagnostic device) there is still the question of price vs what-you-get for your money. This relationship is very much a balance centered on a personal definition of the "value proposition" for the purchase

So, lots to consider - and as I have suggested, don't underestimate the importance of these early decisions to the future direction of your new hobby

Don

PS: and of course, don't forget about after sales support - which for diagnostic devices tends to mean in the main, how well the manufacturer responds to after-sale questions about device usage
    Last edited by DV52; 26-07-2021 at 07:17 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cheers!