Thread: The tang of a lemon

Users Country Flag

The tang of a lemon

Hey guys,

So after weeks of looking i finally managed to not only find myself a car, but a seller that wasnt out for revenge on the world. So i thought.

Car is an 07 wagon, 156k TDi with some general ware and tare.

I am in Newcastle, and the car was in Sydney, so i invested in what i thought was a smart choice in getting red book to look at it. The report come back with no show stoppers, essentially considering the age of the car, it was good to go..

I've had it a week now, and done the better part of 700kms, however, the issues started on the way home.

- Sitting on cruise at 110ish, the car fluctuates on cruise. around 100rpm, but a noticeable pulsation in the revs that seems to come and go sporadically.

- Before it gets to operating temp, it runs like a dog.. Almost feeling like pushing a manual with too few revs.. Cars an auto. Even at temp it isnt a fan of driving around 50kms undecided on the gear it wants to be in or the revs to push it.

- Acceleration surges in reverse. I feel like a learner driver pulsing on the accelerator, and its bloody annoying.

- Its stalled a few times going from reverse to drive.

Nothing of ANY of this was picked up on test drives, so curious as to why it has decided to rare its head now.

- Service life seems good, consistent, and the parts i would have expected to have been replaced done. No fault codes on red book service, no issues on drive. Next service is in about 5k.

Anyone with any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I don't really want my first VW experience to be my last.

Cheers Kurt

First impressions sound a lot like fuel issues, either with a blocked filter or other delivery system issues, considering the stalls, the rough cruise, the general malaise at 50kmh etc. I have no experience with diesels, but that would be my first stop from the symptoms described?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I too thought that hey, but I, like yourself, don't know diesels so i wasnt sure how that side of thing was affected.

Also, the DPF diesel particulate filter which regenerates some of the exhaust gases to reduce emissions, may have an issue as this can be common on rarely driven or short trips cars. Try Dean from VW mobile servicing, (google is your friend) to check it out as he should be able to come to you and find the root cause.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

if you are in Newcastle ask Lucas R where he goes for service. They are good.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums