Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really bad smell when first turn on AC

Users Country Flag

Really bad smell when first turn on AC

Hi All

Recently whenever I turn on the AC a really bad smell comes through the vents for about 4-5mins before either I get used to it (urgh ) or it disappears.
    It smells like dried kids spew...
    I don't have young kids so can't put it down to why it's so bad.
    In previous cars you may get a minor smell for a few minutes, but that was more like stale air rather than spew!

Any suggestions, things to check?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    I had an Elgrand that was having same awful smell, it ended up being the filter under the passenger side dash. Replacing the filter solved the problem.

Users Country Flag
    Change the Pollen filter then

What does a dried Kid look like
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Just a reminder, if the smell is really bad, then expect the unexpected when you come in contact with the filter , wont be a pretty sight or smell up close.

Users Country Flag
    So far my car is ok but it was a pain in all my previous ones. I figured condensation somewhere in the a/c was allowing mould/bacteria to grow while parked. I solved by getting into the habit of turning off cooling a km from home, turning up the temp and fan to max to dry out & it works for me.
    In my wonderful old Nissan 200SX I had the condensation drain tube positioned where air rushing past would cause a venturi effect to suck out the vapour. Noticing the way drainage would slope, I also plumbed a tube forward to in front of the intercooler. That way, (at least only when going uphill), condensation would go onto the cooler. Pretty hi-tech eh?
    cars (chronological) Morris850, Morris Mini DeLuxe, Cooper S, Mazda 1500SS, hard times so some old Holden, old Falcon Ute, better times so second hand Lotus Elan +2 (6 weeks, hopelessly unreliable) Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, second hand Datsun 260Z + 2 auto, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, Nissan 200SX turbo auto for 20 years(wonderful car burning ZERO oil after 200,000km & no problems when sold.. should have kept it), Toyota GTS 86 auto, now Golf R Mk 7.5 DSG built Aug2018, white.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Hi All

Recently whenever I turn on the AC a really bad smell comes through the vents for about 4-5mins before either I get used to it (urgh ) or it disappears.
    It smells like dried kids spew...
    I don't have young kids so can't put it down to why it's so bad.
    In previous cars you may get a minor smell for a few minutes, but that was more like stale air rather than spew!

Any suggestions, things to check?
    Mine does it too. In its first year my wife owned the car and had to pay VW money to clear the vent air ways or something. No idea what they did. But it’s already back again. Talk about poor design when you can’t use the air con.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Users Country Flag
    Happened to me too, but went away after about 30 mins of continuous highway driving.

Whatever it was in the filter must've found its way out.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, it’s been a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I can turn on AC and no smell...other times it’s rank!
    where is the pollen filter BTW. Checked the manual but just says to check...with no description of where it is that I could find

Users Country Flag
    Open the glove box drop it down as per the manual is a rectangular box with reinforcing strips on it.. Did you not download the workshop manuals I posted a week ago in the Tiguan Mk2 thread Tells you everything in them
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks again HB
    No, sorry I missed that thread. Will give it a look

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast