Thread: Well I got one in Melbourne

Users Country Flag

Well I got one in Melbourne

So I picked up a MK5 DSG, no cel for a few days then code P0441, i needed a proper scanner to tell me that.
    Anyway, Yay torx.
    Should be standard - Album on Imgur
    So much fun that I actually enjoy driving again.
    I love throwing $100 bills at this thing and the first service is on Tuesday...
    Luckily this has a full service history, Timing belt, tensioner, dsg, rotors and pads.
    See ya round.

Users Country Flag

Welcome! They are 10+ years old now, so I suppose things are going to start popping up, great that it's got a service history and it sounds like all the major things have been done recently.

One solution from over here that is easy enough to look into: HTTP://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....-petrol-engine

While you're doing this you can also check for leaks/broken hoses/connections.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
    I have recently sold a Golf 5 2.0L FSI hatch.

For some time it was turning on the engine trouble light and the error code when scanned was P0441 - Evaporative emission system - incorrect purge flow.

I googled the possible causes and replaced solenoids but this didn't solve the problem.
    I checked the fuel cap seal and this seemed to be holding vacuum quite well.

A VW dealer said it would be difficult to find the cause (= expensive).

So I decided to look for pin holes/leaks in the lines to and from the Evap Canister but didn't find any.

Then I disconnected the outlet hose from the canister to the solenoid and tried to blow back into the canister. Nothing happened and I couldn't blow back so obviously this hose was blocked.

I then removed the inlet hose from the canister (this is the one that comes from the fuel tank). It has a fairly big flange opening into the canister and pushed my finger across under the outlet pipe and found a small circular mesh filter.
    I got this out. It looked gummed up with a clear looking gum so I soaked it in turps and brushed it to a point where I could blow through it. Then I put it back through the larger opening and put it in place under the exit hose.

Guess what - problem solved. No more P0441.

In summary, if you have a problem with P0441, disconnect the hose from the Evap Canister to the solenoid and try to blow through it back into the canister. If you can't, then this pipe is blocked and you have found your problem.

I suspect that the function of the small filter is not vital and that just removing it and not putting it back may be good enough. Remember there is no need to spend a motza buying a new Evap Canister when you can fix the old one.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit