Thread: Welcome to my new hobby 2011 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag

Exclamation Welcome to my new hobby 2011 Polo GTI

Hi,
    I have been searching though the forums for the last 8 months after buying a 2011 Polo GTI. The car was a bit rough and fixing it's issues has got me totally consumed with the possibility's that can be achieved with research and a few dollars.
    I purchased a Ross-Tech cable and discovered that as a home mechanic I can now do the things that I could not do since cars got computerized.
    I'm now ready to start asking informed questions.

I have already upgraded most of the entertainment system in the car and I'm now moving onto more complicated things that I will need some experienced advice with.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    After reading the other new user posts I thought I would add some more info.

In late March, this year I hurriedly purchased a basic 2011 Polo GTI because my 2002 Honda Acord euro luxury that I had owned for 16 years was about to be towed away in 2 days after being written off due to hail damage. I had done nothing to the Accord because it came with everything I needed, and everything had got complicated regarding the electronics etc.
    In the past I had changed CAM belts, Clutches, gearbox bearings, head gaskets and done all the general servicing to all my cars.
    When purchasing the GTI I did no research and had some issues with buckled wheels, broken aircon vents and generally the car had not been looked after. I realised I would need to do some work on it to be happy. Then the COVID lockdown hit and I had lots of time on my hands.
    Initially it was still legal to visit auto wreckers, so I purchased 2 strait gutter scraped wheels that came with good tyres and a cheap price. While searching for the bits I needed to tidy up the GTI, I released that I could buy a Ross-Tech cable and start doing some real stuff to the car.

I am a bit concerned that this new hobby is going to take over my life even after we (Melbourne Australia) come out of lockdown. Yesterday was the first day we have been allowed to leave home after 9PM at night. We still cannot go further than 5Km from home without a permit and there is nothing open except essential suppliers like supermarkets, take away food and bottle shops.
    Now to the plan.
    Things already done.
    Replace RCD 310 with Bosch RCD 510.
    Bluetooth 9W7 with stock plug and play harness.
    Quality LED H7 globs in low beam of dual H7 halogen headlights. (Not happy with the result)
    General fix of door rattles, wind noise, and dodgy light globes.
    Full service with air filter and new battery by third party good repairer.

Planed and ordered waiting for parts to arrive.
    Leather red GTI style stitching arm rest covers (Bling)
    Replacement DSG gear knob covers. (Currently taped together)
    Window washer fluid low level sensor.
    Multimedia module wiring harness.
    H8 4300K LED fog light globes.
    Cheaper LED H7 high beam globes.
    Assorted crimp pins for planned extra BCM etc connections.
    Left and right Aircon vents. (First April 2020 order did not arrive)

Planed and Researching now.

Headlight upgrade
    Change from dual Halogen H7 headlights to auto leveling projectors without upgrading BCM to MAX.

I have documented all my GTI’s BCM options and connections and all the connections for the entertainment system that is still waiting for a wiring harness to hook up the free Multimedia interface that came with the replacement glove box I ordered. I will be happy to pass this information on once I have checked that it is all correct.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like a great project. Congrats on the purchase.

Ben
    Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag

Currently driving a new VW T-Cross, but during COVID i bought a 1993 Mazda Astina Hatch which had been well maintained but a few things had been let go. Tinkering with a car that doesn't have an engine shroud has been great therapy and helped Supercheap and Repco as well.