Hi there,

A Short Story
I'm new to Passat after my 32 year-old Toyota Camry blew a head gasket on the way home from Launceston one rainy night after Easter. Called the RACT and they decided we had to be hauled back to Launie. On the way, I sold the Camry to the driver for $50. Two days later, I became the owner of a 2018 Passat.

A Long Story
I had warned the Camry in mid 2021, that if she caused me any more grief, she'd be destined for the wreckers. That was when her speedo stopped working during a long trip. But the speedo came good of its own accord, so Miss Camry had a reprieve.

Then in February this year, she suddenly making noises out front. A mechanic had a quick look and said: "She's finished". Cracked cylinder or something.

Right! New car coming up. But it had to be a close fit to the old girl:

• 4 cylinder
  • Less than 2 litres
  • Wagon (so I could sleep in the back)
  • Low profile (so I could load canoes on top by myself)
  • Light weight and white

After a couple of weeks of researching, talking to private sellers, and annoying dealers, the candidates were (in brackets, why they were eventually crossed off):

• Holden Cruze (bad press, too small)
  • Mazda 6 (engine too large)
  • Skoda Octavia (back profile was sloped, reducing cargo area)
  • Volvo V60 (at 1650kgs, too heavy)
  • Golf (too squeezy for me to sleep in)
  • Carnival (too large and expensive)
  • Megane (too short)
  • Mondeo (power lift on tailgate came standard: that's going to hit my canoes on day and damage either canoes or tailgate)
  • Tiguan (too small)
  • PASSAT - JUST RIGHT

I was in luck. The only two Passats in Tasmania then for sale, and which met my requirements, just happened to be at a local car yard, both 2018 models, both with ~60k kms on the clock, and priced at $33k and $31k.

But hang on – a friend had a listen to the old girl and said: "Replace the head gaskets for $10 and she'll be right". So I did. The noise stopped and I promptly forgot about the Passats.

Then came Easter Sunday driving home in the rain, in the dark, and the Camry came to a halt. "Sorry old girl, but you've gotta go".

Looked on the net Monday night and the two Passats were still available. One had dropped in price to $28k. A $500 deposit on Tuesday afternoon secured her, and the balance on Wednesday made her mine.

One interesting aside: I said to the dealer the very first time I spoke with him in February: "Among other requirements, I'm not buying any car that you (meaning him) can't open with a metal key, or that you can't show me how to change a wheel. After I paid the deposit, he couldn't do either. Overnight he had to read the manual.

That's why I bought the Passat on Wednesday and not Tuesday.