Thread: (SYD) New Mk 7 Golf R owner

Users Country Flag

(SYD) New Mk 7 Golf R owner

Hi there,

My name is Adam, I'm from Sydney and I have recently purchased a Mk7 Golf R manual.

This is my first Volkswagen, and first European vehicle for that matter, having come from Japanese cars previously.

I put quite a lot of thought into this purchase and considered a few vehicles such as:

1. Hyundai i30N
    2. Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ
    3. Mk7 GTI (The '40 Years' specifically)
    4. Subaru WRX

I chose the Mk7 Golf R as I feel that it was the best option in my price range for a vehicle that has most modern features, great performance, and a healthy aftermarket. I like the subtle classy exterior (with some slight aggression - i.e the headlight design (with DRLs) when viewed front on) and the interior has held up quite well in my opinion with nice materials and an intuitive layout.

As much as I appreciate the performance benefit of VW's DSG, I chose the manual as I love the engagement it gives you when out on winding roads, and at low speeds too.

I am excited to learn all about this new platform and hopefully meet some cool people in the community at the same time.

Cheers,
    Adam

Users Country Flag
    Hi and welcome. You did well finding a Mk7 R in manual....bugger all around. Years ago I bought a Mk6 R brand new and asked for a manual and the salesman thought I was nuts. He said they sell 1x manual for every 15-20 DSG's.

Unfortunately buying my current car (MK7 GTI Performance) I had no such luck - as it was bought 2nd hand and the Performance only comes in DSG. Its a good gearbox but I would much prefer a manual.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Lucas!

Yes, not many manual MK7R's out there to choose from.

I like the GTi Performance package, but lack of manual saw it removed from contention.