Support VWWC

Thread: Passat Sun Roof or Electric Tailgate

Users Country Flag

Passat Sun Roof or Electric Tailgate

I have just paid a deposit on a demo model passat V6 wagon with sat nav and sun roof. There was another demo available with sat nav and electric tailgate.

I just wanted to get some opinions on the sun roof as a preferred option over the tailgate. After spending over 2 hours at the dealer I realized that the manual tailgate sits quite high when open and it's spring loading is quite firm.

I am concerned that my 5'2 wife may have difficulty in closing it ? (She is away in Bris this week) so has not seen the car yet.

I took a car with a sun roof for a drive and thought is was great. I also read on another thread about the question of the sun roof and blind allowing to much heat into the car. Any thoughts on this ?

I have till Tuesday to change cars (only have a hold on the sun roof model) so any comments that come my way will be appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    I dont know how many people monitor the newbie section... So I would repost in the Passat section (i just noticed it on the recent post list)...

I have the sunroof and love it, the kids love it, and the wife does also.... and have a nomal tailgate. I don't get the electric thing unless you can trigger it with your foot (like in europe)...but I have a tall sporty wife she can yank the door off the hinges if she wants ... All the doors on the passat are heay and solid feeling, so the tailgate is sprung a bit... the other thing is that unlike other gates where a strap hangs down, the grip is moulded into the tailgate itself which makes it a little taller to reach...

But she can jump yeah, coz it really is a top sunroof!
    (tic of course!)

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    FSI thanks for your opinion which is really appreciated. I am pretty sure I will stick with the sun roof option as I can always buy a small box to keep in the car for my wfe to stand on !
    When I posted the thread it directed me to the newbie section for my first post. I will work out how t repost it in the Passat section.
    Thanks agin for your reply !!

Users Country Flag
    Simple...

How often do you use the sunroof during the year?
    How often do you use the tail gate?

The tailgate can be programmed for height & is a brilliant feature walking towards the car when having the hands full - you just press the button & Voila!

I guess it's "form versus function"

The roof is brilliant - almost feels like a convertible; you need to work out how you sue the car in your every day life
    Christian Sieg

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

You raise a good point as far as what is going to be used more ! My wife will use the car on Thursdays for golf so really she will open it twice a week. Sun roof it is, at least for tonight.