Thread: Noob from Perth (with a Mk1)

Users Country Flag

Noob from Perth (with a Mk1)

Yo VW Watercoolers,
    Noob from Perth with a Mk1 diesel project. Long way from being done, and partly here for WTB for what it'll like get as a conversion. Other than that I have a bunch of non VW cars, but we don't need to talk about them.

It goes, it isn't registered and nearly every rubber parts needs renewing due to sitting out in the weather for years. Will paint it YELLOW because why not. Got a bunch of mostly surface rust to sort but enough that needs paint.

I've ummed and ahhed about what I wanna do with it for a while but basically it needs registering and driving around on the classic 1.5L/4 speed diesel combo where acceleration is timed by a calendar, then some improvements to braking and handling... and then what I'd really like is to find a mk3 1.9 TDI and convert it to fully mechanical injection to have the ultimate in oldschool with a bit more performance. I could do a later motor conversion but I kinda like fully mechanical setups so I need to find a pre-PD motor (hence partly being drawn to here).

Already sorted the initial part of the project out though - found some 4x100 hotwires that I gotta strip back and do some polishing to make them awesome.

Cosmetic stuff and other to follow to get the initial rego sorted while I go through the slow process of finding the right door or donk for it.

Users Country Flag
    Brilliant project! Can’t wait to see the progress.

Ben
    Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BenT View Post
    Brilliant project! Can’t wait to see the progress.
    Cheers mate! It'll be slow progress as it's working around other projects and house renovations, but will get there. Some various stuff has been sourced e.g. g60 calipers so I can run 280mm brakes and I'll do the rear disc conversion too prior to rego. Coilovers sitting in the shed for it, have front and rear rubbers but also need to source door rubbers.

I also have the most amazing vintage Recaros. Someone had redone them with velour inserts to go in a panelvan but their project stalled... I will probably redo them in brown leather (as the car has a brown interior) with brown alcantara, but I might be swayed to go full yellow velour.

My cat really loves the velour.

I guess I'll do a bit more work on it getting it roadworthy as is and then start a project thread .

Users Country Flag
    I’ve got a mk1 td engine. With loom. Turbo. exhaust Downpipe. Everything for a mk1 Conversioon. Bolt in and good to go. It’s 1.6 with a turbo and mechanical pump. Perfect for your car. And $500 only. Freight will be $200.
    Hit me up if you want it 0423051737. Don’t get on here often. Clearing my shed. Must go. I’d like to see it goto a good home

Quote Originally Posted by Golf Loon View Post
    I’ve got a mk1 td engine. With loom. Turbo. exhaust Downpipe. Everything for a mk1 Conversioon. Bolt in and good to go. It’s 1.6 with a turbo and mechanical pump. Perfect for your car. And $500 only. Freight will be $200.
    Hit me up if you want it 0423051737. Don’t get on here often. Clearing my shed. Must go. I’d like to see it goto a good home
    Alright, flicked you a message cause calling from this timezone to eastern Aus is always fraught with danger .

Well that does take it in a different direction. 5 speed box will be good too.

Like all my projects it'll be done by Christmas. Just the decision comes down to which Christmas