Thread: Newcastle NSW Newbie

Users Country Flag

Newcastle NSW Newbie

Hi,
    I've owned a few VAG cars. Currently own a Tiguan TSI 2.0 Series 1 with Tiptronic auto. Mods: stage 2 Racingline Tune, 3inch down pipe, Audi S3 front brakes with 345mm rotors, 24mm rear sway bar, and front tower brace. Wheels are 18 by 8inch lightweight Team Dynamics Race 1.2 in gloss anthracite-grey, with Michelin Pilot sport 4 tyres fitted. It goes and stops real good but not quite as good as the Gti mk6 I with Stage 1 tune and Golf R brakes I just sold; I miss the DSG and paddle shifts,a lot. I've also owned a Skoda Yeti TDI and tuned that as well.
    I'm looking forward to being part of the forum and learning a few things from experienced owners.

Users Country Flag
    Hi and welcome. Funnily enough I live in the same suburb and I think I walked past your car about a month ago (I remember a Tiguan with grey Team Dynamics wheels and I dare say there aren't many of those getting around Newcastle). Small world huh.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

May East

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Hi and welcome. Funnily enough I live in the same suburb and I think I walked past your car about a month ago (I remember a Tiguan with grey Team Dynamics wheels and I dare say there aren't many of those getting around Newcastle). Small world huh.
    Hi Lucas,
    It's good place to live. And yes not many Tiguan's with Team Dynamic wheels. The Harding Performance series 2 Tiguan with stage 3 tune wore the same wheels. Lightweight (9kg) so the rolling inertia is low, for better throttle response.
    You've a nice stable of cars there, always liked the Q5 beast. Do you take your cars to Pete at Newcastle VW in Wickham?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by stevearm42 View Post
    Hi Lucas,
    It's good place to live. And yes not many Tiguan's with Team Dynamic wheels. The Harding Performance series 2 Tiguan with stage 3 tune wore the same wheels. Lightweight (9kg) so the rolling inertia is low, for better throttle response.
    You've a nice stable of cars there, always liked the Q5 beast. Do you take your cars to Pete at Newcastle VW in Wickham?
    Yes Pete and Shane at Newcastle VW Centre look after the servicing on my cars. I do quite a bit of work and maintenance on them myself, including a mid-year oil and filter change, but get Newcastle VW Centre to do a log book service once a year.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Your approach sounds like mine: I do what i can and let them do anything that needs a hoist ans more expertise. Pete and Shane are great guys to have nearby. Do you have a ecu tune on your Gti?

Users Country Flag
    Your approach sounds like mine: I do what i can and let them do anything that needs a hoist ans more expertise. Pete and Shane are great guys to have nearby. Do you have a ecu tune on your Gti?
    Haha yes, I know my limits in terms of expertise, tools and availability of a hoist etc - but do as much as I can (not because im a tight arse, but I actually enjoy it). But then Pete and Shane keep the owners manual stamped with an official log book service every 12 months for when it comes time to sell the cars.

And yes, both cars have ECU tunes. The SQ5 has a Underground performance stage 1 so its on about 260kw and 750nm, and the GTI has a stage 2 Integrated Engineering tune so its about 225kw and 450nm I believe (crank/flywheel power).

The SQ5 is my wifes car so its mostly stock for this reason, whereas the GTI is my toy so its got upgraded intake, downpipe, catback, intercooler, suspension, wheels etc. If you click on the links in my signature you can see the cars and what ive done to them.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I took a look at your GTI thread - really nice work with top quality gear. Your GTI must be pretty lively in 1st and 2nd, just waiting for 3rd to get it all down. I thought my Mk6 GTI was quick but it was way short of those numbers.
    My Tiguan is with Pete and Shane now having the rear crankshaft seal replaced, after I found a slow leak between the box and engine. I've done the PCV valve, and had them do the timing chain and tensioner not long ago, along with a valve/port clean. The timing chain was precautionary, but Pete found that the it was still running the old style tensioner. So well worth doing.

Users Country Flag
    I took a look at your GTI thread - really nice work with top quality gear. Your GTI must be pretty lively in 1st and 2nd, just waiting for 3rd to get it all down. I thought my Mk6 GTI was quick but it was way short of those numbers.
    My Tiguan is with Pete and Shane now having the rear crankshaft seal replaced, after I found a slow leak between the box and engine. I've done the PCV valve, and had them do the timing chain and tensioner not long ago, along with a valve/port clean. The timing chain was precautionary, but Pete found that the it was still running the old style tensioner. So well worth doing.
    I used to have a Mk6 GTI myself My other German fling: Mk6 GTI so im well aware of the issues these engines can have. Pete also replaced the rear main seal in my Mk6 as it was leaking between the engine block and gearbox. I also had to replace the PCV and the timing tensioner/guides etc. Mine was a bit of a lemon mechanically.

Definitely a wise decision to update the tensioner as the original design is a ticking time bomb.

My Mk7 GTI is the Performance model so it has the factory LSD (hydraulic and electronically controlled) so it actually does pretty well getting the power down - you have to be careful in 1st gear, but it hooks up nicely in 2nd and goes quite well. I have pretty decent tyres on it too which helps.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I wondered about how effective the mechanical LSD is over the traction control on the GTI, but sounds like it works a treat. I do miss the better response of the lighter car, but the Tiguan gets along ok with 201kw and 405Nm, and points very nicely with the rear sway on the softer setting. I've been thinking going to the harder setting for better tarmac cornering, do you have any experience of whether the wet weather and loose surface oversteer will be excessive as a result?