Thread: New/Old/New?!?!

Users Country Flag

New/Old/New?!?!

Hi again!!!! To everyone and anyone I ever connected with when I had my proud, awesome Polo 9N3 1.9TDI -- last time I was on this forum, was around a decade ago I believe. I know there were / are a few "true believer" folks who have carried these 9N3 Polos through the years...

My reason for being off the forums, is that around the time that I was trying to make a modest car fight above its weight (and it did), all the car meets seemed to be about how low you could get your car, how "fressssshhhh" your shaved-sides-haircut from Culture Kings is, how white your ****-arse sneakers are etc.

Oh, and it doesn't help that the day that I finally had it sorted, I came down the hill from Reefton, having spend months sorting my Konis and tyre pressures out... , get arsefcked by a Landcruiser with a bullbar.....

Anywhoo, the last VW meet i attended.... I have a ton of homosexual friends, but I honestly feel that the car culture at the time, is the reason that I supposedly am not allowed to say "Oh my GOD, THAT IS SO FCKING G4Y!!!!" <<- not referring to my mates, just a couple of people back in the day e.g. BFlat < (Dunno if he is still relevant, but he was pretty ghey).

So, I'm back in the fold -- Just picked up a lovely, healthy little low km Pog GTI, 9n3. It's got some Audi wheels, gauges, a sway bar that needs to put in (that was part of the purchase, the seller was a total legend!). Oh, and a UGP tune.... I'm going through a few things this week, including death of a family member and a move from Malbourne to the country), amongst other things...

I will be researching and asking as much as I possibly can. I don't intend for the car to be a power queen --- maybe PD160 (shoulda kept mine when it got written off), 2.5in with 100cel CAT, I'm TOO intrigued by a side mount intercooler.....

Chasing humble power mods, but after the Clio..... My handsome little guy (Polo) drives like a boat -- and that's with H&R springs. I am happy to be back, but I'm not delusional -- My Clio182 would obliterate anyone south of what - is KW still a thing? RS guys look to Ohlins $10k setups from the 182Cup.

Anywhoo, I'll come to meets, solicit wisdom, hopefully avoid the total fcking p00fcakes that are the "hey I have a RSGolf17 with automatic!!! and it scrapes and sparks EVERYWHERE!!!" crowd...

Oh and if anyone who knew me back in the day, is wondering about my name? If you ski/snowboard, go to Buller on a weekend -- try to enjoy. YOU WON'T. #timeandaplace....
    Scotty

Users Country Flag
    Scotty,

Good to see you haven't lost your vitriolic ways after all of these years.

Relevant or not, here's my $0.02: ditch the homo dialogue, it benefits nobody and leaves you looking like a Luddite (it's a car forum man, read the room).

Speaking of car things, why the switch back from the Clio? It's widely accepted as a better starting point over the 9n chassis (too frantic for my liking for a daily but rippers of things when driven in anger).

Enjoy your time here, and good luck trying to avoid the crackle map boys (in fairness they're mostly on FB and Insta though so you should be fine).

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    Scotty,

Good to see you haven't lost your vitriolic ways after all of these years.

Relevant or not, here's my $0.02: ditch the homo dialogue, it benefits nobody and leaves you looking like a Luddite (it's a car forum man, read the room).

Speaking of car things, why the switch back from the Clio? It's widely accepted as a better starting point over the 9n chassis (too frantic for my liking for a daily but rippers of things when driven in anger).

Enjoy your time here, and good luck trying to avoid the crackle map boys (in fairness they're mostly on FB and Insta though so you should be fine).
    Holy Moly blast from the past? Fair call about the dialogue, will do - I'm not here to rub anyone up the wrong way. How's things man? Hope you're doing well and staying safe (and same to everyone here).

The Clio was a HOOOOOORRIBLE daily - heavy clutch, heavy steering, and I laughed my ass off the first time I went to do a U-turn at the end of my street. Cars that I've easily done this in: Land Rover Discovery, Ford Falcon, VW Polo 9N3, a host of rental cars, 1.8TON RENTAL DELIVERY VANS!!!.... But the Clio? Lol, the turning circle's so big, it needed a 3 point turn.

But you're dead right, when beaten on, the Clio was... a thing of wonder. You could almost feel every little stone on the road, right there in your fingertips. Turn in was so flipping sharp, that after showing my JDM fanboi cousin what it could do in the corners, despite his initially maintaining that Renaults were for hairdressers, he went out and bought an RS Megane (he needs turbo) 6 months later. And the lift-off oversteer was on tap. I'd never driven a car whereby in order to NOT bin it (when overcooking it into a corner), you have to accelerate. It was fun, that's for sure.

The Clio needed quite a bit of work to get back to cult-car God status. Tough little engine, but the clutch will be due in under 20,000k's (and I'd read that the part of the chassis had to be dropped / something along those lines, and so installing a $750 clutch would require something like $3k labour, on a $5k car no less), there were a few electrical issues (sturdy engine, **** electricals), etc etc... You know when you get to that point where putting any more money into something, just doesn't seem right? That's where I was at, even though I loved him to bits.

I decided on a Pog again because I like small cars, I wanted a manual, and I wanted something that I knew could last me for a long time -- hell, if I hadn't been rear-ended by that Landcruiser, I'd still be running around in my little TDI. Part of me was looking for one, but then I found this GTI on Carsales, set it up, and picked it up on Wednesday this week.

I've decided to ditch Melbourne and move to the country, so I needed something I knew would be reliable - and based on what I know from my time on this forum ages ago, the 1.8T's in these guys seem to be good to go on and on, provided they're taken care of.

Took the car up into the alpine region and back yesterday, now it's gone from lovely, shiny black, to caked in bugs and dirt, but I don't mind -- kinda what I bought it for. The UGP tune is interesting, wheelspin in 3rd at 110km/h on the greasy highway was intriguing haha.

<2 month plans: sway bar in, new pads and discs all around, car bra, headlight protectors, roof racks and ski holders, downgrade to 16in wheels with a good touring tyre (wheel chains will be going on a fair bit I'd say), oh and suspension bushes all around (I'm used to the level of feel I had in the Clio, and want SOME of that back).

After that: intake/ Milltek or something/ larger side-mount + retune, relatively modest suspension mods (compared to some of the long-termers on here, I'm sure. I think e.g. KW Clubsports are a little overkill for my driving).

Gonna be a fun journey!

Hey mate! I did enjoy our fang through reefton one time!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
    Hey mate! I did enjoy our fang through reefton one time!
    heyhey!!! yeah, i might have been an oddball, but i remember some good drives - you were in the Mk3 that was spankin' me, if I recall???

my fondest, was when i FINALLY!#@!#!@!!!! had my Konis sorted, tyre pressures dialled, RSR front and Potenza rears, and I fondly recall chasing Gerard in his stage 2+ S3 down into Marysville

Took my little guy up the hill (alpine region, won't say where, because then everyone will want cheap accommodation in a pretty sick place that looks out onto the hills, that's only 1/2hr from the ski lifts), with my dad. don't like the current Hankook Ventus, the car needs something more (or maybe the suspension geo is wonky (i.e. not like a RenaultSport).

I should start a thread in the 9n3 Pog section.

Happy travels!