Support VWWC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mitch's Golf R 7.5 Special Edition

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Maybe one day. If I do I’ll post times for sure. Seriously considering stage 2 now. I could have picked up a 034 downpipe the other day for a good price but put the brakes on the purchase. The wife would have killed me :p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Golf R 7.5 Special Edition

Not my car but pretty keen to do this. Anyone done it in Oz? Approximate cost?

New additions.

Rally Armor mud guards.
    Ferodo DS2500 brake pads.

Rally Armor mud guards thoughts. Super good quality and actually do a bloody good job of keeping crap off the car. Need to play with them a little more to straighten up the rears. I’m unsure if I’ll keep them on full time as the look of them has me a little confused. Not sure if I really like the look. Side on and from the front looks good. From the rear they look a little odd.

Ferodo DS2500 brake pads. Upgraded the original performance pack pads as I absolutely cooked them on a track day. Did a 2.14 around The Bend international circuit which I thought was pretty decent. I was keeping up with and pulling away from a few C63 Mercs and was hitting 230km/h on the straight. Destroyed many cars worth much more money than the little golf. Even had one of the C63 owners come up to me asking what I’d done to it as he couldn’t catch me on the straight. Was a hoot. Anyhow back to the brakes. They performed alright for 3 sessions then they were done. After I’d got home and then drove the vehicle again I had a lot of vibration in the brakes. I thought I’d warped the rotors. Drove it for a couple of days and then did a few heavy braking runs. Turned out they’d left a heap of crap on the disks that needed to get burnt off. Replaced the pads and bedded the new Ferodo’s in. Haven’t tracked it again and likely won’t but on the test braking runs the improvement is significant. These pads have a significantly bigger pad surface area when held next to the stock also appear to be much thicker. They seem very well suited to everyday use but can apparently take a beating. Time will tell. They weren’t cheap so here’s hoping they last longer than the stocks.

Users Country Flag
    Hey Mitch,

I've been thinking about doing rear swaybar+springs for a while, does it make big difference in day to day driving, I don't plan to do any track driving at this stage

Are these the products you bought?:
    034Motorsport Adjustable Rear Sway Bar – MK7 / 8V – AutoInstruct
    034Motorsport Dynamic+ Lowering Springs MK7 VW Golf/GTI – AutoInstruct
    034Motorsport Spherical MQB Rear Sway Bar End Links – AutoInstruct

Thanks!

Hi Trucky,

That’s exactly what I’ve got. Works very well for daily driving. A tiny bit firmer but not offensive. Handling improvement is amazing. Turn in is wild, understeer almost non existent. Highly recommend the 3 as a combo. I did them all together so can’t comment on them individually. Not much will keep up with you through the twisty sections. Took about 6 hours to do the lot from memory. I’d never done suspension before. Someone who know what they are doing would probably do it in a third of the time on a hoist.

Cheers,
    Mitch

Probably should add. The drop in height in my opinion is perfect. Not too much. Have not bottomed out on anything or out of steep driveways but I am cautious. I think 034 really did a lot of product testing with these before release. They really suit the car.

Users Country Flag
    Ah good to know, thx! I've already got a Stage1+DSG tune, I reckon I'll go this next

This is equally as good as the stage 1 and DSG tune but for your suspension. You’ll be very happy with the choice. I take my hat off to you still tuning while all this COVID business is happening.

Users Country Flag
    Haha, naa I'll be waiting till this blows over, just in case

Users Country Flag

Hey Mitch! Was browsing the forums and came across your mean R! Thought I'd say hello to a fellow local R owner. Very jealous of the Akra exhaust you got there! How you finding the Stage 1 ? Mine came with a Stage 1 and really couldnt picture how one would drive without it, Im already tempted to go stage 2. p.s. Still have that CTS Res delete for sale by anychance ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast