Support VWWC

Thread: Mk3 Golf... Back to life?

Users Country Flag

Mk3 Golf... Back to life?

G'day All,

I've owned a Mk3 Golf (Completely stock 1995 2.0L 8V, ADY engine, 5speed, 5door) since 2007 but it's been sitting in a garage and not driven since 2010.
    I drove it from 2007-2010 and in those 3 years I put 30000K's on it. It has about 92000Km on the clock right now.
    It was a previously well maintained car (Regular servicing, 95+ fuel as recommended by VW for this engine) except for a few of the usual issues with Mk3 models.

• Hard to find first gear. I suspect the linkage bushings rather than the box itself. This is the part I'm least confident of fixing myself.
    • Broken door locks. I've seen replacement kits on the web to repair these.
    • Dodgy instument cluster. (Tach and speedo only work intermittently, temp and fuel gauges still work, all lights still work). Stepper motor replacement?
    • Tyres are old and one is dead flat. They will most likely all need replacing.
    • It hasn't been moved or even started in 5 years. Will need a full service. All Fluids, Filters, Plugs. Plus lots of things to check. (Belts, Hoses etc)
    • The clear coat is peeling in a few spots an a few panels.
    • There is some oil residue in the engine bay. Not a huge amount. No idea where it's coming from yet.
    • There is plenty of oil still in the engine. It's kinda black, as expected.
    • There is about 1/10 tank of 5 year old petrol.
    • Battery is dead.

I live in the ACT but the last time the Golf was registered was in VIC (In 2010) So will need to be fully inspected to get a roadworthy.

What I remember from this car was that it was fun to drive and was cheap on fuel. Something I'm looking for in a daily driver at the moment.
    It's rust free with a very clean interior.
    I'm gonna have a crack at getting this fun little car running again and registered.

Stay tuned for a (hopefully) fun project and not a (probably) hot mess!

Pics and more in a real post when I perform the required noob procedures for the forum.

Cheers,
    Josh

Users Country Flag

30,000 k's in 3 years? I do that in 6 months in my MK2 but I live in Braidwood and work in Canberra.

Congrats on deciding to bring it back to life, there's something satisfying in keeping an old golf on the road.

Make sure you post some pix.

Cheers

Paul