Thread: MK1 Golf - Newbie

Users Country Flag

Cool MK1 Golf - Newbie

Hello,
    Just picked up a 1976 4door mk1 golf ls. It was sitting in a shed for the last 20 years with a blown head.
    The engine needs replacing.

From my research the easiest and cheapest replacement is a 1.8 from a mk2? I will probably need a fuel pump though as the original car has a carby and the 1.8 has injectors?

This will be a long project, plenty of work to be done, but i have already fallen in love with the little car and how easy it is to work on.
    quick list of things to come:
    Engine replacement (probably a 1.8 from mk2 gti)
    Coilovers for lowering (anyone know where to get these cheap?) can the camber be adjusted or will this be an issue?
    Replace door handles with working ones
    DIY Dash repair and painting or flocking
    Carpet replacement - TST Carpet manufactures
    steel rim black paint and new tires

Once its up and running i will feel the need to start tuning the engine and looking at performance parts

Cheers.
    Pineapple
    Last edited by Pineapple; 09-09-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Users Country Flag

Welcome to the forum.

Most 1.8 and 2.0 Golf motors will fit the MK1 with very little modification.

Have a look in the MK1 section where someone asked the same question recently.

Cheap coilovers aren't worth the price you pay for them. They are too hard and even though they make the Golf handle like a go-cart there are better options. A good quality shock/spring combo will do a better job and still ride well.

Camber can be adjusted by undoing the bolts that hold the shock tower to the hub. My old MK1 had camber adjustment bolts that worked well.

I fitted late model door handles to my MK2 (see link below - page 7) and it only took 2 hours per door handle.

Mag wheels are cheap on Gumtree. Just look for anything 4 stud, 100mm pcd that's off a front wheel drive car. I've picked up a few sets for less than $100.

Cheers

Paul