Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just getting started

Users Country Flag

Just getting started

Hello! Thanks for having me.

Proud owner of a low KM manual 2017 7R. Once the warranty runs out next year planning to start the mods! Stage one initially but will no doubt move on to stage 2.

Have previously owned a Liberty GT tuned by Michael South and a modified R33 Skyline.

Looking to research tunes, am thinking of going Unitronic stage 1 then 2 as that what the closest workshop to me recommends.

Cheers.
    Last edited by JP MK7R; 17-06-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hey mate and welcome. The Mk7 R goes from relatively brisk to really quite a quick machine with a stage 1 tune. You will love it.

Nothing wrong with Unitronic, but they aren't a very popular choice in Australia. I believe they have only been available in Australia for a relatively short amount of time and dont do much advertising, whereas other companies (Integrated Engineering for example) are readily available, offer a DIY self tuning option, and advertise well so they get their name out there. I've never had a Unitronic tune, but had some of their parts on my Mk6 GTI about 5 years ago and the parts were fantastic quality.

I had a Liberty GT tbSTI but it was sadly written off in a flash flood about this time last year. It was bloody immaculate and didnt even have 100,000km on it yet. They are still a good looking car, although getting old now. Pics here if interested: Non VAG content...My 2008 Subaru Liberty GT (Tuned by STI)
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    +1 for an IE tune.

Have just done my MY19 R with a Stg1 from IE and can say its very good. You have the option of a low torque map too (and by low it means higher than stock by about 50NM but not the full 100 of the high torque map) in order to protect your clutch. Stock Golf R clutch not up to too much torque I'm afraid. Once you upgrade the clutch (and other stuff) Stg 2 is there with 300+kw.

BTW IE tunes are on sale (10% off) through most of the suppliers in Australia till the end of the month (June). As a bonus you don't need to go to a tuner and can load the tune your self (takes about 30mins).
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I had the same colour Liberty, such a classic shape, yours was in amazing condition!

From the research I've done IE seemed the best option although my understanding is that to go stage 2 an upgraded intercooler is needed. On top of the $3k for a upgraded clutch I doubt I'll get that past the minister for finance, so I'm after a company where I can upgrade at a low cost from stage 1 SW to stage 2 SW that doesn't require anything more than a downpipe (I don't track the car, all my driving is highways).

I live two hours south of Sydney, so the closest reputable tuner me is Pacortech and he recommends Unitronic.

Open to other suggestions.
    Last edited by JP MK7R; 17-06-2021 at 03:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JP MK7R View Post
    I had the same colour Liberty, such a classic shape, yours was in amazing condition!

From the research I've done IE seemed the best option although my understanding is that to go stage 2 an upgraded intercooler is needed. On top of the $3k for a upgraded clutch I doubt I'll get that past the minister for finance, so I'm after a company where I can upgrade at a low cost from stage 1 SW to stage 2 SW that doesn't require anything more than a downpipe (I don't track the car, all my driving is highways).

I live two hours south of Sydney, so the closest reputable tuner me is Pacortech and he recommends Unitronic.

You don't need an intercooler for Stg2, only a downpipe (and a clutch obviously), intercooler is only recommended (and most tuners recommend same).

On the clutch side, the $3K clutch is the one where both the DMF (with a SMF) and the clutch is replaced. You can just do the clutch at much less $$$ (about $800) plus installation Performance Clutch Kit VAG | ZF SACHS 002352.999502

BTW, Unitronic does not offer a low torque version of the tune that I can find, so your clutch will be need to be replaced soon if you go that route.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 17-06-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

I had no idea Pacortech was a Unitronic dealer. I know he deals with Underground Performance and Galano Engineering (and perhaps Integrated Engineering but not sure of this).

With the Integrated Engineering one you can tune it at home in your driveway with the optional OBD dongle. You connect to the IE server and download what tune you want. Upgrading from stage 1 to stage 2 is $150 (well it was for me a few months ago) and you can do that once again paying online and then tune it yourself in your driveway.

Anyway, you cant really go wrong. All of the stage 1 tunes are pretty damn good.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for the info Sharkie, that could save me a few bucks over the NPC kit. Have you been in a Golf with a Sachs clutch? just read the reviews on the ECS tuning site and chattering noise seems to be a big factor.

I like the idea of tuning at home but would prefer to have somewhere to take the car back to should something go wrong. Am I overthinking that if you get a Downpipe fitted, you run the risk of getting a CEL on the way home before you flash the stage 2 SW?

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the info Sharkie, that could save me a few bucks over the NPC kit. Have you been in a Golf with a Sachs clutch? just read the reviews on the ECS tuning site and chattering noise seems to be a big factor.

I like the idea of tuning at home but would prefer to have somewhere to take the car back to should something go wrong. Am I overthinking that if you get a Downpipe fitted, you run the risk of getting a CEL on the way home before you flash the stage 2 SW?
    Chatter really only becomes an issue when you replace the DMF (dual mass flywheel) with a SMF. Most Stg2+ kits do this, promoting it as weight saving, but practically all of the SMF conversions suffer from chatter ..... the ones that don't chatter achieves it by adding in extra weight to the new flywheel so no weight savings then

The Sachs unit uses the original DMF so no chatter I'm told. The issue with retaining the DMF is that it does not last when you go Stg3. So if you do plan on eventually going Stg3 I'd be looking at a good full kit. For me personally, I'm going to stop (on the R) at Stg2 so am just going to get the Sachs clutch (which is rated to 550NM). I just received a Sachs performance clutch for the TSI as it (6sp manual) cannot cope with the 330 odd NM it now makes. Still to fit it though, but yes, I have driven a car with a Sachs performance clutch previously that felt just like OEM.

On the DP, it will very likely throw a CEL on the way home before you tune it. HOWEVER, the IE tuning kit, will clear that error for you when you install Stg2 so you don't need to worry about that.

I run many different tuner's tunes atm (APR on the Amarok, OEM+ Racingline on the TSI, Celtic on the A1, custom on the Mustang, and IE on the R) and IE is by far the easiest to do. I'll go OEM+ on the Up! when the engineswap is done, although if IE did a tune for it (or any of the 1.4TSIs) I'd go with that.

Cheers Sharkie, your info has really helped and saved me some cash. Chatter was my main concern as the Mrs also drives the car and would complain about it, so want to retain a somewhat OEM feel/sound.

Not planning on going stage 3, so hopefully I'll be good with the Sachs clutch.

Your enthusiasm for IE has got me thinking I should do a little more research on IE VS Unitronic...

Users Country Flag

Your enthusiasm for IE has got me thinking I should do a little more research on IE VS Unitronic...
    LOL, thank Lucas ... I got IE because he recommended it.

I've been a long time APR user and still support Racingline a lot (lots of their gear in my cars), IE just makes the tuning so easy and from my research their tunes are just as good as any of the others.

As an FYI, with the low torque Stg 1 I have on at the moment, the clutch is behaving just like the car is stock. It is just a LOT faster above 3500rmin .... I'm thinking they kept the torque close to stock down low (where APR typically for instance is really full on) and then open the taps wide higher up in the range.

If your wife drives normally she won't even notice the extra power, mine certainly doesn't
    Last edited by Sharkie; 18-06-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast