Hi all VW enthusiasts.

I am on my 3rd VW having grown up with 2 beetles. The first of these beetles was amazing. I drove it 800km with a leaking fuel tank and no spare through flood waters to visit my parents who owned an outback pub which is when I discovered how amazing these cars could be.

About 10pm at night we hit flood waters covering the road. We veered off the road into the bush and the engine stopped. Water was gushing into the cabin through the pedal holes and on venturing out of the car the exhaust was underwater. I won't write what I said but I was seriously concerned about what we could do in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a flood. It was in the '80s so no mobile phones.

I then attempted to start the beast up and low and behold the engine fired with the unique engine sound. I asked my girlfriend to jump in the drivers seat and "don't let the engine stop". She revved the hell out of the engine while I dug around in knee deep water in the middle of the bush in the middle of the blackest night to provide some sort of traction to get the car back on the road. BTW, it was that dark and there was that much water, we could only guess as to where the road was. Once we had traction my girlfriend backed the car up while I walked ahead trying to find the road. Once on the road we headed back to the last night about 15-20 minutes east. The car never missed a beat, however, light glowed on the dash. We stayed the night at the local pub and called my father to let him know what had happened.

The next day my father drove to "tow" the car to his pub about an hour west. We thought we would try to start the engine just "to see if it would fire up" never expecting it to start. The little beast started first go again with every light on the dashboard glowing. We followed my father to his pub an hour west. Stayed for a few days and then returned to Brisbane 8-hours east. The car drove as though nothing had happened. Unfortunately, the water had done enough damage for the the little beast to die slowly.

Now, I drive a 2011 Passat V6 4Motion Highline with every option available at the time. I was lucky as the car was reportedly an ex-VW Australia car with 6K on the clock when I bought it. It has been flawless since I picked it up in 2012.

I look forward to hearing the amazing VW stories.

Cheers.

Brett