Thread: Hello from the UK..Melbourne bound though

Users Country Flag

Wink Hello from the UK..Melbourne bound though

Hi All,

We are in the process of moving permanently from the UK to Melbourne, it is underway and I expect my wife, myself, two sons, the dog and Mk2 golf VR6 to be on the ground by Sept 2017 at the latest. Apologies in advance for a lot of import, registration etc related questions to follow over the coming months, hopefully my posts will get more interesting!

i am a long term VW/Audi/Porsche owner and fanatic, I am an active club member here in the UK and enjoy the sense of community spirit which comes with the VW scene. I also enjoy shows, track days, drag strip action, meets and cruises. I can't wait to drive my mk2 golf in Aus..that is a goal for me, then I know we've arrived! Cheers..

HAF

Users Country Flag
    Welcome to the forum.

Be prepared for some pain bringing the Golf over. Then some more pain getting it on the road.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    Then more pain getting parts for it, especially trim and bodywork. Rust isn't a problem here but VW only imported 200 MK2's and only as Japanese imports in 1991. Mechanically there's no problem as VW imported lots of MK3 VR6's.

I suggest you load up the back of the Golf with enough parts to keep you on the road for a long time.

There's a strong group of old Golf lovers in Melbourne but nowhere near the numbers you get at your shows. If you can put up with not seeing another MK2 for months on end then you've come to the right place and Melbourne weather is almost as bad as English so you'll be ok.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 11-12-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Welcome mate, hopefully we can meet you and see this Mk2 when it's over here.

We have a monthly pub meet in South Melbourne that you should come along to, as well as trips up to shows like VITS (Volkswagens in the Square in Albury, NSW), German Auto Display in Canberra, and some others.

What will you be doing for work over here?
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project