Thread: Golf GTI or Polo GTI

Golf GTI or Polo GTI

So I'm wanting to get a GTI but I'm struggling to decide on what to get within my budjet of about 13,000. There's a few polos from 2012 with around 100k on them, or a Golf from 2010 in great condition but with 190k on it, but having basically half a new engine and full service recentley. Id appreciate your feedback as I'm sure you all know more than me!

Users Country Flag

Welcome to the forum Honners.

I've had both and I'd recommend you be very careful with the 2012 Polo GTI. It had the twin turbo (regular turbo + supercharger) and reliability was more likely to be an issue on that one. Many owners experienced very high oil consumption (search this site for the thread).

If I was you, I'd go for the Golf, but even with a rebuild, a car with 190k kms is going to have more than service requirements in the coming years. Disclaimer: I do a lot of kilometres in my cars so I'm very cautious of anything with close to 200k.

Ben

Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone