Thread: Dubber from the UK heading over to Australia

Mk3 polo driver from the UK heading over to Australia

Hey guys,
    I'm Gaz, currently living near London in the UK. I'm coming out to Australia for a year or so in December, will be hanging around the Melbourne/Sydney area so would love to get involved with the VW scene while I'm out there.
    Currently running a '91 mk3 Polo GT which I believe didn't make it over to you. Any info to what is and isn't available in the old school scene would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Gaz
    Last edited by Gaz56; 22-05-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Hi Gaz, welcome.

it's easier to say whats out here, rather than whats not.

We got mk 1's, 2dr/44dr, with 1.6P and 1.5D'd, till '80. We got late model cabby's in 90/91, similar to sportline, but not quite the same.
    We also got 200-odd mk 2 GTI 4drs, 1.8 8V's, with small valve heads, cats, and no power.
    Then we got a we finally got something decent with the mk 3', in the VR6. but all 4 door. 2drs were 1.8 singlepoint inj. and not mk 3 GTI's.

Anything else that's early and cool, 2dr mk 2's, corrados', scirocco's, mk 1 GTI's were all imported.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply, seems like you didn't get much in terms of old vw metal then
    At least you got the vr6! I had a Corrado a few years back and before that a Vento, always fancied a mk1 golf so glad to hear they are available.
    I'm guessing there is a bit of a price tag on the imported stuff. I see corrados going for $15-20k, when you can pick one up for £800 over here lol. And the mk4 r32 golf, $25k which is about £15k ish, whereas decent ones are about £5k here! And I always thought that was expensive.
    Are there regular meets and events throughout the year?

yea, we did get the short end of the stick in a sense. But cars in general are much more expensive.

you can't get much for 800 bucks, and if it's that cheap, it's probably a real bucket!
    mk 1's are getting a bit hard to find, but they're still out there. Probably less rusty than most un-restored UK/Euro cars too I'd imagine, but not exactly peaches either.

There are about 4 or 5 reasonable VW/VAG/German cars shows throughout the year, and lots of smaller meets etc. for example we have a monthly pub dinner meet in melbourne.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

I used to have a Polo GT

they are awesome cars
    Velly
    '91 2.0 8v GTI

Quote Originally Posted by DubSteve View Post
    I have wood thinking about you