Support VWWC

Thread: DSG oil - options to OEM fluid? Golf wagen Highline MkVII Tdi DSG

Users Country Flag

DSG oil - options to OEM fluid? Golf wagen Highline MkVII Tdi DSG

60,000 km DSG gearbox fluid & filter change (MVII Golf Tdi Highline wagen)
    Wondering what alternatives to OEM fluid other owners have used successfully.
    Presently looking at Liqui Moly 8100
    Is this OK? OEM pricing is extortion - calling a spade a spade.

Users Country Flag
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 20-06-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

MkVII DSG fluid change

Hi Lucas
    This is my first post, I saw your references on the 'net.
    So you're saying that the Liqui-Moly fluid is a safe alternative to the OEM fluid?
    If you are confident, I will order a kit now for next week's service
    Thanx for a speedy response.
    Rob

Users Country Flag
    Hi Rob - sorry I didnt realise it was your 1st post (i didnt look).

Liqui-Moly is a very good quality oil manufacturer - and I would not have any problems using this brand in my own cars. If the Liqui-Moly DSG specific oil is cheaper than the VW OEM fluid then I would not hesitate in buying it. Note that there are other brands that make a DSG specific oil (Pentosin, Swag, and I believe Penrite also make one....im sure there are also others).

Note that with Penrite being Australian made and owned, it is a cheaper alternative than the European brands while still being a very good quality oil that's synthetic. Note that the Penrite bottle is 4L instead of the more common 5L which also add's to the cheaper price: DCT Fluid - Full Synthetic, 4 Litre | Supercheap Auto
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 20-06-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

DSG fluid OEM alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Hi Rob - sorry I didnt realise it was your 1st post (i didnt look).

Liqui-Moly is a very good quality oil manufacturer - and I would not have any problems using this brand in my own cars. If the Liqui-Moly DSG specific oil is cheaper than the VW OEM fluid then I would not hesitate in buying it. Note that there are other brands that make a DSG specific oil (Pentosin, Swag, and I believe Penrite also make one....im sure there are also others).

Note that with Penrite being Australian made and owned, it is a cheaper alternative than the European brands while still being a very good quality oil that's synthetic. Note that the Penrite bottle is 4L instead of the more common 5L which also add's to the cheaper price: DCT Fluid - Full Synthetic, 4 Litre | Supercheap Auto

Thanks for your advice Lucas
    I signed up to this site specifically for this purpose - to share knowledge with others
    The OEM product is priced as if it's gold and while we realise that such a product is developed with specifications to meet a performance requirement, the alternatives like those you've listed are so much cheaper, it is understandable that one may have doubts about the aftermarket alternatives.
    On the basis of your confident response, I will go out and get the Liqui-Moly or Penrite options.
    Thanks again.
    Rob

Users Country Flag
    Glad to help Rob. There are plenty of helpful people on here so there is almost always someone who can offer assistance or a suggestion etc.

With the new generation Golfs - keep a lookout on the following Aussie websites as they have good products and are well priced.

AutoInstruct – The Home of Automotive Guides and Products

https://runautoparts.com.au/

Sparesbox | Auto Parts, Car Care and 4x4 Accessories
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 20-06-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    I don’t think that the Penrite DSG fluid has the manufacturer approval. Just something to be aware when comparing prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I don’t think that the Penrite DSG fluid has the manufacturer approval. Just something to be aware when comparing prices.
    Thanks for the observation. Noting that there's a Nulon product also at $23/l at Supercheap (the pronoun, certainly not the vernacular - is my experience)