Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change oil now! Dash alert won't go away

Users Country Flag

Change oil now! Dash alert won't go away

2015 Mk VII Golf Sportswagen diesel highline

Just changed the motor oil, afterwards tried to reset dashboard alert. The service alert is easily reset and disappeared using tripmeter 0.0 as described in the owners manual. But I cannot reset the "Change Oil Now!" alert. I followed the 0.0 tripmeter instruction, it still appears every time I start the car.

I also tried to reset the dash alert twice using the OBDeleven Pro Pack dongle and burned 20 credits, still the "Change Oil Now!" alert remains.

This is not a life threatening issue, but it is annoying.

Does anyone have ideas on how to fix this?
    Last edited by kiddiecobbler; 21-10-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks h100vw, I have sent you an email enquiring as to what that 10 character code might be. I have just changed my oil again and still cannot reset the warning. Dealership refuses to help unless I take my car there for a service. Disappointed that the VW dealership business model is the same as printer manufacturers - that is, locking in the buyers to OEM service/cartridges.

Users Country Flag
    Should be able to remove it with OBD Eleven Open program press APPS Press WORKSHOP BOTH are there Do they work or did you try a different way

This is a Say Hullo area and questions should be posted in relevant model subforum
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Vcds is the tool to use IMO. I don't have obd11 so can't btellnif you are doing it incorrectly.
    10chars is because that's the minimum number of characters you are allowed to post.

Users Country Flag
    For a DIY option you cant ignore Carista for $46 and you can reset your service indicator and well as do other things. Its a very handy little device: Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct I have Carista and its very handy. Another handy function you can use the Carista for is to keep and eye on your DPF using an app called VAGDPF.

If you want more functionality then OBD11 is the next choice at around $200-300.

VCDS is total overkill if all you really want to do is reset your serivce indicator - prices start at around $500 and go up from there.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Gotta admit that I am struggling to type things in this box with any fluency as there is a delay of 5-10 seconds from typing some letters to seeing them appearing in the box. Likewise with the flashing cursor marker – it disappears for several seconds every time I type. Maybe it's some conflict with my browser?

I am a newbie to this Watercooled forum and to OBD devices, although I’ve been maintaining and repairing my own cars and motorbikes for nearly 50 years. So you can imagine that I am more than a bit frustrated to know I’ve completed a service, changed the oil & filter, etc. and yet I am defeated by a dashboard notification that won’t go away.

By the way, the OBDeleven dongle is also a bit frustrating to use because it relies on an internet connection via Bluetooth to your smart phone and it is sloooowww to scan. Also, for prospective buyers of this device, the user manual is next to useless. The device seems to be more suited to those that wish to customise the controls in their vehicle and/or have previous experience with OBD devices. Maybe it’s just me having no hands-on experience with OBD – kinda wish there was an introductory guidebook for newbies to OBD. On the plus side, I did use the dongle app to disable the Stop-Start system, which appears to be a battery-killer. I bought a new battery $$$$ and will install it when the voltage on the original one drops too low.

As regards the Golf Mk 7 2.0 TDI, it’s a beauty, much improved over the early version Golf I owned back in the 1980s. I am however perplexed by conflicting information from the owners manual to what is available on the internet. When to change timing belt for example 105,000km from one source, 130,000 miles from another (USA it would seem). First I heard about AdBlue being on my car was from the internet. Seems it’s not on my car anyway – perhaps due to different Aussie emissions standards.

Anyway, thanks guys for your help so far. Always grateful to those that take the trouble to share their knowledge and experiences.
    I will post this “Oil Change Now!” problem on the main forum category for my car. It’s not life-threatening or car-stopping, just annoying.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddiecobbler View Post
    Gotta admit that I am struggling to type things in this box with any fluency as there is a delay of 5-10 seconds from typing some letters to seeing them appearing in the box. Likewise with the flashing cursor marker – it disappears for several seconds every time I type. Maybe it's some conflict with my browser?
    Yes something is wrong with the forum over the past few days - i am experiencing the same as you have mentioned.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    No probs here but whole thing was down for about 2 days last week
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    No probs here but whole thing was down for about 2 days last week
    Its much better today, but for the past 3-4 days its been atrocious. Huge delays in posting, and text on screen when typing being a good few seconds delayed.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast