Hey guys n gals,
So i was watching Mighty Car Mods the other day, and they had a wee Mira turbo/supercharged, and since i daily a TT mitsi GTO, i thought "yeah, tiny cars are ****in awesome" and decided to get myself a wee kei car. Turns out Miras in good condition are unicorns, and ppl want redonky****s money for them, so i started looking for alternatives that id be able to turbo, or engine swap. Checked out Yaris's (is Yarii the plural?), a toyota echo, a daihatsu charade, and then i saw an ad for a '08 Polo GTi, $5,500 with 146000kms. But it was 600kms away, and another potential buyer was eyeing it up. so i spoke to the dude about it and it had just passed a warrant (needed 4 new tyres), had been keyed down the drivers side, and someone had curbed the front rim in a fashion that makes me assume they were going for some sort of tony hawk style grind, but the poor wee polo wouldnt cooperate. so i flew up at 8pm, and drove her home in time for work at 6 the next morning. stoked with how well it went. (drivers side headlight wasnt working, but had plenty of other lights to use, seemed stable enough in the twisties, had good enough power for what it is, bolsters on seat kept my normally sore back feeling good after such a long drive.) so now the polo is my daily drive to work, and the GTO gets a well deserved vacation in the garage.
I have plenty of questions about ECU tuning, suspension, fuel pumps, spark plugs vs boost settings, etc. But my most pressing question is what car seat covers do people use? I know dumb. But i wear overalls to and from work and frequently am covered in grease, dusty ****e, and sometimes actual human ****. ( we have the contract to repair and unblock the local councils pumps, both water and sewerage), and i kinda wanna treat this car nicely, even though i had the intention of treating it like a 1994 toyota corolla, or a late 80's mazda familia.
The next pressing question after that pertains to ecu modification, and whether you can just chuck a modded/reflashed ecu in them from revo or apr, of if they actually have to run them over the dyno. the nearest revo dealer is well over 1000kms away in auckland, (an im way down south in invercargill) and the nearest APR shop is 600kms away in Christchurch (where i got the car from). so yeah, can a reputable chip manufacturer just send you a unit, of do i need to spend a weekend (or longer) doing a trip specifically up. (even the nearest dyno is 250kms away, in dunedin FML)
Ummm, i ended up here because after having a GTO, it pays to join the clubs associated with your brand of vehicle. Theres always alot to learn from ppl in these forums/clubs, and theyre normally quite helpful when it comes to diagnosis or handy tricks when doing things like changing gearboxs etc, as some have been through the experimental pains of doing things the hard way. Anyways, glad to be here, and hope to have mad yarns with whoevers helpful and active.
Cheers,
Blair E