Support VWWC

Thread: 4Motion.AWD F/T vs P/T

Users Country Flag

4Motion.AWD F/T vs P/T

Hi. I am buying a Tiguan Comfortline 132TSi with 4Motion this week. I have previously driven a Subaru AWD, Volvo XC90 and BMW X3 and like the handling of AWD on winding roads with changing camber. The little I know of 4Motion is that it only engages AWD when needed. I have been told and read that using AWD all the time (is that even possible?) will use more fuel so it means most of the time I now have a front wheel drive SUV not an AWD SUV...
    Q1. Can I engage 4Motion so it drives AWD permanently?
    Q2. How much extra fuel will that use vs fri to wheel drive?
    Thanks for your help if you know the answer. I searched online but couldn’t find the answer.
    Hope one of you enthusiasts know and can advise please. I accept whatever it is. Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    Welcome to the site mate.

Put simply mate;
    Subaru use a Symmetrical All Wheel Drive System (Full Time)
    Volvo XC90 - Haldex AWD (same as VW 4motion) (On Demand)
    BMX X3 - xDrive (Full Time) All Wheel Drive System

The Tiguan will feel like your old Volvo XC90 (for better or worse)...

With that info above, if you want the finer details of all, just do a search online...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag

The other thing to note is that the Haldex system needs servicing after a while. I have a 2011 Tiguan and at 200K noticed that it was basically FWD all the time after I got wheelspin going out of my driveway. I don't think VW serviced any of the units in all the time I used them for servicing. I looked for info and accessed a filter kit which I had my mechanic use and he also changed the pump oil. It still isn't active though so I may have to replace the pump. My personal observation with a TDI over many kms is that it does not seem to affect fuel consumption much at all, it is an on demand system. Given the very high mileages I get from my Michelins, I don't think it affects tyre wear much either. My wife drives the car now so I didn't notice the change until lately and will be revisiting my service provider to see if we can correct this. The new Tiguans are very nice but a bit bigger than we wanted. Our current Tiguan is just right, extremely economical and with most modern electronic conveniences, and easy to live with. You will be happy with the new car. though, it will be easy to live with.