Thread: 2nd Time R36 Owner - Returning from the darkside!

Users Country Flag

2nd Time R36 Owner - Returning from the darkside!

Hi all,

Technically not a newbie, but couldn't remember my old profile for the life of me. I was a very proud owner of an Icelandic Grey MY10.5 R36 Wagon some years ago (with a few tweaks and personalised changes too), however one evening it was totalled while parked out the front of my house, when an uninsured driver fell asleep and used my mint R36 as a pillow .

Obviously not at fault, my insurance begrudgingly paid me out a dismal sum, I could not locate another R36 for sale at the time that stacked up and I went down the route of a more expensive A4 Quattro Avant 2L turbo, but it never quite matched up to the R36 in terms of low down grunt and was a bit laggy in comparison - even in sport mode.

After a fairly boring affair with the A4, I finally decided what the heck, that life is too short. Get back to a R36 - I'd missed my old steed so badly. After looking at a few, I am proud to say that I am now back in the saddle with another MY10.5 Icelandic Grey Wagon - with similar specs to the last one, albeit this one has a sunroof and a RCD330 installed. Reverse camera not hooked up - so that will be a time consuming job rerouting a later one/aftermarket one.

While I am busy ordering lots of bits and pieces for it already, the first bigger job is fitting a Westfalia removeable tow bar. I've fitted these on my A4, a friend's A4 and a family member's A5 coupe, I've never actually done one on a R36, as my last R36 had the factory one fitted when I purchased it already. Will be posting up a bit once that all gets underway, but just wanted to say hi and hopefully this R36 is here to stay!

Users Country Flag
    MY10.5 was / is the sweet spot! and Icelandic Grey - spot on!!!
    Keen to see the progress on the new one.
    Must be terribly hard to find an "untouched" versions nowadays...
    How are the seat / side bolsters?
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks ope126! Yeah it really had to be another MY10.5 in Icelandic Grey for me. Most seem to lust after the Biscay blue ones, but for me it is grey all the way, seems to look more modern to me than the Biscay blue ones for some reason. Yeah this one was pretty good, full service history etc. Needs a bit of TLC in places cosmetically, but it was a great buy. The drivers bolster and seat is pretty cactus though - so hunting for a good replacement or if not, I'll order the factory foam and a new cover too as even the cover needs doing to meet my standards. I almost pulled the trigger on a 206TSI Superb actually (saw you have one), but we already have a Skoda Kodiaq Sportline as a day to day and this is just the 2nd car (and for occasional towing for a motorcycle trailer on the odd occasion), so I couldn't justify spending that much. Sure the R36 is getting a little old now, but for a car we barely use - it is at least fun when I will use it