Thread: 2016 POLO treadline faulty clockspring

Users Country Flag

2016 POLO treadline faulty clockspring

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone with a similar experience could share the outcome of a similar experience to mine-

I have an August 2016 south african built DSG treadline polo purchased new from Nepean motor group. When I questioned the reliability and build quality of south african made cars the salesman at the time said there wouldn't be a problem and it opening factories in 3rd world countries as an initiative of VW to help poor countries- Ok what ever.

Fast forward 4 years and 60k on the clock I turn the wheel while driving a couple of days ago and I hear some clicks from the steering wheel and suddenly the airbag light comes on and I can't use the horn. I'm 99% certain its the clockspring.

I dropped off the car today at the dealer requesting a good will replacement. Do you guys think I should be ale to get that replaced under good will?. Is it reasonable to assume that part should last more than 4 years and 60k in a car that has been properly looked after?.

Thanks in advance, ben

Users Country Flag
    First off, the motor manufacturing industry in South Africa is massive, much more advanced and accomplished than what it ever was in Australia. Currently VW, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, Opel, Nissan, Mazda, Hyundai and at least 1 Chinese manufacturer all have factories there with a number of cars making it to Australia (BMW 3, Merc C, VW Polo etc.). Build quality is generally on par with the rest of the world. In fact, a few years ago a JD Powers survey judged the BMW plant there the best car manufacturing plant in the world with the fewest defects per vehicle built (this is an annual award so no idea what the current rankings are).

Secondly, the parts in your Polo are sourced world-wide (and only assembled in SA, though with high local content in the steel body and interior trim etc). Clock-springs (and most electronics) are typically made in Europe ....

How VWA will deal with your claim is to be seen, they are not always good in dealing out good-will unless a specific problem has made headlines in the press due to repeated failures.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    I havent heard of this being a common issue on the late model Polo's. Regardless give goodwill a try because theoretically this item should last the lifetime of the car. If knocked back, its about a $600 part. 6R0959654 Valeo Clock Spring to fit Volkswagen Polo MK5 | Clocksprings Australia
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Nepean Motor group charged me $432 to have the clock spring replaced and yesterday they called me to advise that VW Australia had "generously" agreed to cover the parts and a portion of the labour cost making me $59 out of pocket..

I am happy they came to the party- now to sell the bloody thing before the DSG goes!