Thread: 1998 Golf Mk3.5 Cabrio

Users Country Flag

Red face 1998 Golf Mk3.5 Cabrio

Hi everybody. I bought a nice little convertible, straight body, good paint, good leather interior, goes well with some exceptions. It has some of the "Text Book" issues. I am learning very quickly that there is VW water cooled and there is VW water cooled. Models while basically the same from country to country vary sufficiently to be a pain. There is a lot of info on the net about the US version cabrio, for example, but they never got the AGG engine and Simos ECU. Added to this the Frankenstein nature of the Mk3.5, being mostly Mk3 with bits of MK4 there is a bit of be careful of what you buy situation. Simple things like sourcing a radio antenna that will fit into the fender as most Golfs seem to have roof mount antennae, not viable on a rag top, becomes a real challenge.

i have mostly worked on JDM cars but this is the 3rd VW I have owned. My first car was a Beetle and later after a few other cars, I had a Type 3. This is the first waterbucket VW.

I bought the cabrio 2 weeks ago. I bought a Haynes manual, not real good, very basic.

So issues:

convertable top not working electrically. Fixed RTFM... simples
    convertable top has holes especially around the rear window. New top on way from USA.
    electric mirror adjustment not working drivers side. Replaced mechanism new mirror glass on way from U.K.
    radio antenna broken. Looking for fit in replacement.
    battery not very secure. Fixed.
    air box missing front clip so allowing air around the filter. Fixed, made clip with aircraft locking wire, replaced air filter.
    ABS and Airbag light not working. Found light circuit board floating around behind the dash. Fixed.
    left rear speaker not working. Dry joint on radio connector, have it out to fix or I might just replace it with a BT version today.
    oil dribble onto exhaust manifold giving that burnt oil smell. Have rocker cover gasket (German not eBay) will replace and see if that fixes it.
    missing drivers seat, seat back release handle, need to source one.

5000 rpm rev limiter. The person I bought the car off said the Timing belt had just been replaced !!!! I will be checking the distributor alignment at TDC to see if the intermediate shaft is one tooth out issue or the Hall effect sensor is US. I would like to do a ECU scan but the scanner I have won't read VAG.

Additions to come:

Coil overs.
    wider wheels and tires.
    cat back exhaust.
    accessories.

Bought the Golf for a fun car to drive and tinker with.

Other cars i own. Nissan Patrol tractor for pulling things around, RX8 for using horrendous amounts of fuel (16L/100k).

cheers Robyn
    Last edited by VK6XRE; 29-10-2016 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Users Country Flag

I found the antennae from a ebay shop in the UK. I needed an adaptor for the original radio.
    08 MY09 R32, DBP, DSG, GIAC, R8V10 reps, KW V3, RNS510/VIM/BT/MDI, region free DVD, switched Haldex, s2t paddles,HPA dogbone rubber,Mk7 climatronics, FIS+, Adams/RDA discs & Hawk pads, Garage button, GruppeM. Front fogs, Milltek. CF Chin spoiler.Strut support. LEDs Alloy front suspension bits.....
    http://photobucket.com/gregsr32