Thread: A 1.6 litre odyssey

Users Country Flag

A 1.6 litre odyssey

G'day all!
    I bought a '04 MkIV Golf 1.6 'Generation' for..... too little money 3 months ago. The poor thing was sitting in a dust pile (which may have been dessicated power steering fluid) smelling of petrol and lost dreams at a wholesale dealership.

As I've got a motorbike as my daily driver and needing to get rid of my old car due to it being associated with a failed long-term relationship. I felt a kind of kinship to the abandoned little old golf. I knew I shouldn't, my common-sense was screaming. 'This lemon will suck worse than a pensioner whose lost his dentures trying to eat a bowl of overheated minnestrone soup.'

Like Pandora and her box, or Orpheus trying to rescue Eurydice from Hades......

I couldn't resist.

As I've opened the box. Now begins a new odyssey. To give new life to the abandoned Golf.

This forum has already been a massive help to me up to this point getting it back to running. So I've decided to stop just staring and join in!
    '04 Golf MkIV Generation 1.6.

Users Country Flag

Welcome mate,

good old cars the Mk4 1.6s .... decently reliable engines that should last for a long time if looked after.

I know your pain having resurrected one from the dead as well. Issues I had were gear linkages, interior trim, intake plastic bits and front wheel bearings. Paid $800, fixed it, drove it for 2 years then sold it for $3000. One of the cars that I did not actually lose money on.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...