Thread: What is normal oil temperature - 2.0 TDI

Users Country Flag

What is normal oil temperature - 2.0 TDI

Hi
    I've just completed two trips, surprised by some oil temperature readings on the second one.
    First trip was Melbourne to Bermagui; pretty heavily loaded with 4 people, 80 litres of engine oil in drums, quite a few tools plus clothes etc for all 4. Tyres were pumped up to max, and we kept to about 2 k/hr over the 100k speed limit ( on the GPS ) in quite hilly terrain. Probably around 18C air temp. I didn't see anything over 104C oil temp.

Second trip was Sydney to Canberra, only two people on board, no B** oil drums, no tool kit. A bit warmer today at 24C, and again 2 k over the 110 limit. I briefly saw oil temp of 108, I'd have thought the car would not have been working anywhere near as hard!

I will check oil level before we set off tomorrow, and pump the tyres up a bit. ( and just thinking, I will also look for plastic bag or similar!

The car is bog standard 2 l diesel 4-motion, 30,000 kms, serviced and oil level checked.

Any thoughts?

Users Country Flag
    Uusually between 90 to 100 but ive had one to 106 giving it some right foot on twisty hills!
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    David,
    I see similar oil temps here in Perth when its warm to around 108 max and that's not pushing it or fully loaded. I'm wondering what type of oil you are running and what effect that has. My 2.0 TDI with about the same miles, is on Mobil 3000 an approved oil as provided by the VW service centre, but talking to the Mobil rep he reckons the only reason that is used is because its cheaper than the other synthetic stuff and one finds it difficult to get a liter for top up as its only sold in bulk capacities. I reckon I will go Mobil 1 ESP next time as can get a reasonable deal on it. Alan.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Alan
    Need to wait until I get home to check the brand off the oil, it's certainly on the approved list. I doubt I will see any high oil temps in the next few days - forecast is 12 in Canberra tomorrow. I think it's time to go home to nice Melbourne - a whole 2 degrees warmer.

Users Country Flag

Dont worry about 110c. Other day I was towing boat about 1.2T 3 people in car. There was a very long uphill from wollongong. I fly up @90+km/hr. 4th gear(dsg) 3000rpm+ all the way after a minute I got 127c oil temp. Still within the operating range but is on the higher side. Was just testing to see how much grunt the car's got and give it a good workout... Italian tune up??

Next time I'll take it easy just cos the car can do it doesnt mean u should push it. Next time I'll roll up that hill slowly @3rd gear.

Normal city driving about 90c highway also about the same when light loaded. 110 when heavy loaded is okay.