Thread: Tyre Rotation

Users Country Flag

Tyre Rotation

Hi guys,

Interesting thing happened just the other day. The tyre pressure light came on. I was not noticing anything adverse such as the car pulling to one side nor could I hear anything. I thought my tyres just needed some air and would do it when I arrived at work. Turns out one of the tyres had a puncture, it was a screw through the tyre. And I had driven to work on it. Only a short trip, so no severe damage done but the guy at the tyre place said that it was not safe to use the tyre.

Lesson learned.

So upon ordering a new tyre the guy also points out to me that all my tyres on the wrong way. VW didn't quite believe it but asked me to bring it in to check. And yep, the tread on all the wheels has been facing the wrong way.

Not something I ever thought to check. And guess I could see why the dealer might miss this too. Just something you may want to add to your pre-delivery checklist.

The dealership will be correcting the matter.

Users Country Flag
    Change them to the other side and they will be correct Unless they are inside out of course

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, dealer will do that I imagine. Easier enough to do myself, but will let them do it. Dealer is less than 5 mins from work. Plus I want them to check a couple of things.
    MY12 155TSI TIGUAN - Comfort Pack, Beige Leather, Sat Nav, Bi-Xenons, 18" New York Alloys, Park Assist 2.

tyres fitted the wrong way .. good gawd
    says to me the dealer didnt even get the apprentice to fit them, they used the sales secretary instead

Bridgestone tips and advice

bridgestone.com.au/tyres/passenger/care/rotation.aspx

Great resource

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Masker, was referring to rotation of the tread more so than the roatation of the tyres for life.

Anyhow, just had the unpleasant expereience of replacing a near new tyre at the cost of $440. Ouch.
    MY12 155TSI TIGUAN - Comfort Pack, Beige Leather, Sat Nav, Bi-Xenons, 18" New York Alloys, Park Assist 2.

Just a quick question about wheel/tyre balancing. When you get new tyres fitted, should every wheel/rim have a weight on it for the supposed balancing they do when fitting the tyre? I have two rims now that don't have any weights on them after getting new tyres the other day??

Users Country Flag
    Did u look on the inside of the rims With mags they are not always visible Also you may have scored two perfect tyres.

Unlikely but maybe possible

i guess not all wheels may need weights for balancing. depends upon the production process as to how well the weight is distributed. Also you are adjusting for imperfections in the tyre moulding process.
    As mentioned above weights on mags are usually stuck on the inside of the wheel so they don't look ugly on the outside lip.

I have had wheels & tyres in the past that haven't needed balancing, its not unusual. If youre not sure if the weights have come off ask where you got them balanced if they kept a record of the weights they added.
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Thanks Guys. I have two wheels that have the weight balances on the outside and two wheels that don't have any weights on the outside (but used to prior to the new tyres). One would assume that if the wheels were out of balance you'd notice it pretty quickly on the highway driving? I haven't noticed any severe wobbles whilst highway driving....just thought it was odd that they went in with weights on all 4 wheels and only came out with weights on 2 wheels??