Thread: Tiguan TSI spark plug gap

Users Country Flag

Tiguan TSI spark plug gap

a few months ago i replaced my plugs with NKG 2667 and also changed wheels / tyres at the same time.

since then when cruising at low rpm with some load (around 1500) and going 50kmh, 60kmh, 70kmh; the car was making some noise as if the bearing was gone and it felt lethargic. i thought it was the tyres...

a few days ago i did some reading and found out that the spark plug gap for the Tiguan TSI is 1mm-1.1mm, not 0.8mm. when i fitted the NGK plugs, i did not regap them. i had no issue with the Mk6 GTI TSI engine using the same NGK factory gap (i.e. 0.8mm) for these plugs.

yesterday morning i removed the plugs and regapped them to 1mm, refitted at 18ft lbs torque and yes, the noise is gone and power is restored! cruising at low rpm (with some load), the car goes quietly and nicely
    Last edited by nat225; 05-07-2015 at 10:46 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Interesting, & a good one for the memory banks! I wonder if state of tune from the factory for these engines determines the gap set? And therefore, if you are running an aftermarket tune, you may benefit from closing the gap down to 0.8mm?
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

It may also depend on the model of spark plug as these are a performance plug. But certainly worth keeping in the memory banks - thanks for sharing.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Could it be the improper install of spark plugs for coil packs caused the trouble in the first instance. Probably when install the second time may have done a better job and problem solved I believe 0.8 is the correct value for GTI version of TSI engine and boost level.

I am running 0.6 mm gap with no issues but of course with a tune.
    Last edited by Ramee; 06-07-2015 at 08:56 AM.
    2013 Tiguan 155kW DSG | Leather | Bi Xenon's | Park Assist 2.0 | Panoramic Sunroof | RCD 510 | RVC | MDI
    Mods: APR K04 v3.1 | HPA Haldex | S3 Intercooler | Custom 3" Quad Tip Exhaust | Carbonio Intake | WL HD RSB | GFB DV+ | Koni Yellow Sport Struts & Eibach Springs | HP LCAs | Custom Audio ( Alpine MRX V70 , Audison Bit Ten , Dynamat , Stealth Sub ) | Car Tablet | CB Radio | Sports Pedals | RLine Door Sills | Wheel Arch Extensions | 3 Bar MAP & BKR8EIX | RT VCDS .... Performance: 0 - 100 km/h, 5.0 seconds ( Racelogic PBox tested ) Tiguan Build Thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Ramee View Post
    Could it be the improper install of spark plugs for coil packs caused the trouble in the first instance. Probably when install the second time may have done a better job and problem solved I believe 0.8 is the correct value for GTI version of TSI engine and boost level.

I am running 0.6 mm gap with no issues but of course with a tune.
    the first install was done the same way, torque wrench to 18ft lbs, BUT the gap was per NGK factory (0.8mm) out of the box.

the 1-1.1mm gap for CCTA engine (Mk6 GTI) was based on this:

2013 Golf, GTI & Golf R Quick Reference Specification Book

https://app.box.com/s/260hhzhywgva8wv9oksu

my Tiguan is on stock tune.
    Last edited by nat225; 06-07-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD