Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Performance

Tiguan Performance

Just bought a MY12 132 TSI DSG 7 Tig. Have been driving a 09 Polo GTI with 1.8T and 5 speed manual.

Initial impressions driving around town are sluggish and hesitant at take off, seems to engage 2nd very quickly which drops revs below where torque provides a good drive.

Wonder if what I'm seeing is common and if either a DSG Tune and/or a Stage 1 ECU reprogram would solve it.

Certainly interested in the DSG tune. Doing both will run to $3k over here in the wild west.

Very impressed with Trigger73 Tig build
    09 Polo GTi "Elke" | APR DV1 | H&R 35mm | Bilstein B8 | Remsa Pads | Pioneer |

Users Country Flag
    You will need both the DSG tune and a Stg 1 tune to make the Tig go decently I'm afraid.

DQ500 DSG is very sluggish from pull-off which can be very frustrating AND dangerous. The 132 then also lacks a bit powerwise, but 190kw/400NM from an APR stg1 tune makes it a very nice drive.

The Tig will never be quite as nippy or responsive (it carries 400kg extra over the Pog) as the Polo but with the changes becomes very pleasant and surprisingly (to others) fast.

I had both a stg2 9N3 and a stg2 Tig, so can give you non-biased feedback
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    when i am not in the mood, i tend to tap the gas pedal to change a gear down. otherwise it always uses a gear under the decent torque rpm.

annoying to drive yes. engine and dsg tunes seem to be the fix for some.

my wife doesnt mind it though.. and it is her car. so it is staying stock.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nat225; 11-09-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Users Country Flag
    Have the 155 R Line and APR Stage 1 and DSG tune.
    Stage 1 is all a reasonable person would need noting it is a small SUV and not a sports car - the electronically adjustable chassis/suspension helps.
    The DSG tune gives a sharper off the line performance as it starts in first gear as opposed to second and also appears to remove any change down hesitation in almost all driving situations. Recommend you sample BOTH DSG tunes as they vary in terms of how aggressive they are and like you the car is my wife's so it doesn't need to be manic in nailing its changes. Be aware that the combination of the two tunes means your Tig develops a thirst and 12 around town is not unusual and 8 on the highway.

Dingah

Thanks glad you enjoyed my 125TSI Tig build I've gone the opposite approach with the 155 Tig and kept it stock.

It's kind of a slippery slope when you start modifying....

If you do decide to go down the mod path it really depends on what you're trying to achieve, your budget and length of time you're going to keep the vehicle. You'll never get the $ back on mods so you're better off doing it early(ish) in your ownership and enjoying it.

If you want to eliminate the problems with the stock DSG shift pattern, then you'll need a DSG tune.

Also if you want another 50-60kW on tap (and who wouldn't) then a stage 1 tune is the way to go.

And finally if you want to win the traffic lights GP then a sprint booster will help you get off the line. The faster throttle response helps the DSG lock up the clutches quicker though it does have some undesirable side-effects which make it harder to modulate the throttle when cornering. From talking to the guys at APR it causes some problems for tuned cars being able to respond to throttle inputs so if you install a Sprint Booster having this easily switchable is key. I kept the switch module sitting under the cover for the fuses so I could turn it on/off as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 11-09-2015 at 08:26 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Thanks all for your replies.

I will drive it some more stock and see how I go. Have a run down to Margaret River next week for a bit of country driving.

I can really only justify the expense of one mod, so will do as suggested and try the two independently and see which one gives the biggest smile.
    09 Polo GTi "Elke" | APR DV1 | H&R 35mm | Bilstein B8 | Remsa Pads | Pioneer |

If you get the ECU tune then you'll still have the problem of not dropping back to 1st when you really need it... but it is the biggest bang for buck mod.

So I guess it depends if you can live with the stock DSG program then I'd get it tuned

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    The stock DQ500 program is horrendous, actually dangerous IMO. I'd go the DSG tune 1st.

132 is actually OK just severely hampered by the DSG.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    I would go DSG tune first if you had the 6 speed DSG as the change is significant.
    With the Tiguan I would go with the APR Stage 1 first as the 7 speed is a pretty good box.
    Remember you can try and then buy after a week of driving - suggest you take that option.

Dingah

Users Country Flag

I let you know the result in less than 2 weeks time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiguan Performance-20150914_213541-jpg  
    Car:
    2015 Tiguan 155 R-Line (Daily) APR Stage 1 / 2011 (Track Weapon) Banned from Happy Laps
    Ex Car:
    2015 Audi S1 - Stock ish. . . . . . / 2012 ABARTH 500 - Black with 300hp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast