Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Factory Options Thread (or what options can I install after purchasing)

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Tiguan Factory Options Thread (or what options can I install after purchasing)

Hi guys.

I feel it's come time to retire my Bora in favour of a nice sparkling new Tig. I'm looking at the TDI Automatic as I'm an oil burner fan, and as much as I love the control of a manual, the auto makes more sense with the type of driving I'm doing (pity I can't get a DSG box ). I just need some advice on some of the options. If anyone can give me advice and feedback I'd appreciate it.

Panoramic Electric Glass Roof - My Bora has a sunroof and I like it. The Tig's sunroof looks huge which is aesthetically pleasing though it also gives me concerns. First is it's impact on vehicle rigidity, second it's safety if I roll it, and third is the cloth cover (effectiveness at blocking sun and heat, and whether it'll stand the test of time without looking tatty and worn).

RNS-510+RVC - Is this really worth $3,500 ? Does it come with free map upgrades or do you have to pay for them? How does the satnav compare to Tomtom as quite frankly, I think Tomtom is awesome. The other advantage to this unit other than Satnav is the reversing video and display when in park assist, though I'm not sure how necessary they are. Music wise I'll get the MDI and use my iPod, so don't care for the CD changer etc. Just want to know whether to go for this initially or wait a few years for cheaper and better aftermarket options. If I chose this, I'd lose the sunroof, so it's a big choice.

Park assist - I think this is a no-brainer to go for as everything I've read about it is good. Any contradictions on that?

Bi-Xenon Headlights with Cornering Lights - With the quality of lights so good now days, is this option really worth the 3k? My mates BMW has the cornering lights, and they're nice, but I'm not convinced they're 3k nice. Wouldn't mind feedback though.

Comfort Package - I think this is a no-brainer to go for again, but wouldn't mind feedback.

Off-Road Technology - The only reason I'm considering this is that it's pretty cheap, but I'm not sure how useful it'd be. I don't intend to do much in the way of off-roading, but there will no doubt be one or two times I will. What exactly is included in this option?

I'm going for a test drive tomorrow so may have more questions after that, but I reckon the above would cover most of my concerns. Looking forward to your feedback!

Users Country Flag
    I don't own the Tig yet, but I can comment on off road technology, if it saves you from damaging the vehicle while off roading only once, it is worth it. Since hills descent control is part of it and it makes driving down the hill easier. Also it will help with braking on the dirt road. Even if you plan on never driving off road … you never know. I would personally didn’t opt for sunroof for the same reasons you’ve mentioned.

Users Country Flag
    My opinion, is to minimise on the extras, when it comes resale time u get little or nothing back on them. the RNS510 is a waste of money and it will cost your $299 to upgrade the maps when they are available. I guess what it comes down to is if you intend on keeping the car for 5+ years and will get the value out of the options then spec it as you like it.

Park assist has had nothing but glowing reports on here. Have a look at the buying a tiguan thread to see what people have been paying for them and give you an idea of what discounts to push for.
    currrently... MY10 GTI | DSG | Candy White | Sunroof | 18's | BT | MDI
    previously... MY08 GT TDI | DSG | Reflex Silver | Sunroof

Sunroof is one of the best options but agree with Transporter, if safety is your priority then don't even look at the sunroof... the huge 1.1 m2 open space, feeling of driving a convertible

Bi-Xenon light, I really cannot compare this option with other brands as this is also first time for me. But I do not regret to get it at all, not only looks good, but saftier with brighter light and cornering light (my favourite)! btw: it shall be a $2k option.

Can't comment on NAV but I actually cancelled the original order with the NAV after changed mind. I believe $3.5k is not worthy and swapped it with Bi-Xenon and Dynaudio.

For the rest of your list, they are all neat and handy but really depends on your budget. I get the part assist because of my wife and also the ability to sense the objects behind (get Dr Ross' unagi.....)

And don't forget the fog light, a $400 option or else NZTIGUAN have a post to teach you know how to mount it aftermarket.
    Last edited by deepspace; 08-05-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    Proud owner of a 2009 Tiguan TDI, 18' wheel, leather, sunroof, park assist, dynaudio, bi-xenon, comfort pack, off-road, fog light.

Just a quick "I agree" with the posts above and to add that if the off-road option isn't too expensive (you can only get it here with the full "track and field" setup with different nose etc) the I'd certainly have it if I was you. It's equally good is mud, snow, sand, loose gravel etc and with a combination of very clever electronics makes you 1000% safer when things get a bit dicey. Combined with the auto box it controls gear selection, brake and throttle response, hill decent and ascent (won't let it roll back on slippery uphill stuff), electronic diff locking etc etc. Well worth it IMHO. You also get a compass oh wow !!!!

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_tdi View Post
    My opinion, is to minimise on the extras, when it comes resale time u get little or nothing back on them. the RNS510 is a waste of money and it will cost your $299 to upgrade the maps when they are available. I guess what it comes down to is if you intend on keeping the car for 5+ years and will get the value out of the options then spec it as you like it.
    Well, that settles that then. I'm happy getting a top of the range Tomtom 930 with SUNA rather than the RNS510 if map upgrades cost that much. I plan on keeping the vehicle more than 5 years so think it's worth paying for some extra's.

Quote Originally Posted by deepspace View Post
    Sunroof is one of the best options but agree with Transporter, if safety is your priority then don't even look at the sunroof... the huge 1.1 m2 open space, feeling of driving a convertible

<snip>

Can't comment on NAV but I actually cancelled the original order with the NAV after changed mind. I believe $3.5k is not worthy and swapped it with Bi-Xenon and Dynaudio.

<snip>

And don't forget the fog light, a $300 or else NZTIGUAN have a post to teach you know how to mount it aftermarket.
    Yeah, the sunroof is cool - a very nice to have, but I just want to be sure it's not going to comprimise handling and safety too much.

Please educate me on this Dynaudio? Is that the tech that turns the music down when you stop at traffic lights, and then back up again when there's more ambient noise? Or is it noise cancelling or something?

Are the fog lights much use other than to look cool? Do you use them for night driving by default for better lighting? How do they affect oncoming traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by NZTiguan View Post
    Just a quick "I agree" with the posts above and to add that if the off-road option isn't too expensive (you can only get it here with the full "track and field" setup with different nose etc) the I'd certainly have it if I was you. It's equally good is mud, snow, sand, loose gravel etc and with a combination of very clever electronics makes you 1000% safer when things get a bit dicey. Combined with the auto box it controls gear selection, brake and throttle response, hill decent and ascent (won't let it roll back on slippery uphill stuff), electronic diff locking etc etc. Well worth it IMHO. You also get a compass oh wow !!!!
    Thanks. Sounds worth having then, given it's only a couple hundred bucks.

I do not own a Tig yet, but here's my take on the options.

Panoramic Electric Glass Roof - Agree with deepspace - will be like in a convertible but the cloth cover (instead of a solid cover) does raise question marks on blocking the sun and heat. I'm sold on it though .

RNS-510+RVC - For me, it is unnecessary. How many times would you be venturing into somewhere new? For day to day drive, you won't need it and there's always the UBD (or google maps) if you do (got to plan ahead, I suppose). I can read maps pretty well so not a concern for me. If anything, a portable sat nav like Tomtom is better as it
    a) costs much less
    b) portable so if you go overseas or change cars, you can take it with you.
    The risk is that the Tomtom can be stolen, and you'll have the inconvenience of wiping off the suction marks each time you park. For me, I'll take the sunroof over the RNS510.

Park assist - Agreed - no brainer that one. Even if you do not need the auto-park feature, it is worth just to get it for the on screen display. There is another thread about how it will look on the RCD310 (not so good apparently), so it may worth getting the Dynaudio which will give you the RCD510.

Bi-Xenon Headlights with Cornering Lights. A nice option to have. Nice if your budget can stretch it. Also as deepspace pointed it, it is $2k, not $3k. And unlike Audi or BMW, you don't have to pay extra for the cornering function.

Comfort Package - $1k well spent IMHO.

Leather seats - it's really a personal choice, but if you option it, you also get the trays behind the seat backs and a storage drawer under the passenger's seat. But at $4k, it doesn't come cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_tdi View Post
    My opinion, is to minimise on the extras, when it comes resale time u get little or nothing back on them. .
    Is that also true of 'premium' europeans? I know this is a common understanding of most cars but I would have thought with Audi, BMW, Merc etc the buyers are aware that the base car price is just the beginning and options are a normal way of life. Thus second-hand buyers are prepared to pay extra for the 'right' options.

Arctra, Dynaudio is a premium sound system option which costs $1800 on TDI and $1300 on 147TSI. It also brings you the RCD510 with 6.5' touch screen and 6 CD changer. IMO it is a worthy investment not just because of the better sound quality but the huge touch screen display. RCD510 is definitely a great unit to play with and as Spook pointed out it stretches the value when you view the OPS (optical parking system) with park assist.
    Proud owner of a 2009 Tiguan TDI, 18' wheel, leather, sunroof, park assist, dynaudio, bi-xenon, comfort pack, off-road, fog light.

a quick reference to Dynaudio 300w system

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/tiguan.php

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Two more things...

Thanks for that. Just 2 other things I forgot to ask about.

1) Roof-rack cross bars - although there's mention of them on the VW website, there doesn't appear to be anything on the pricelist. Anyone have any idea how much they'd be? I believe Rola one's would be in the $250 region, so would be interested if they're much more/less from dealers.

2) Tow hitch - again, not on the pricelist. is this better to get aftermarket, or factory fitted? If the latter, any idea how much it is in Aus?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast