Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiguan "Diesel-gate" recall notice

Users Country Flag

I would expect to see improvements in performance, economy and emissions, on something like an '08-build Tiguan.

Especially on cars that have never had the ECU flashed (by VW) previously.

We've come a long way in virtually 10 years of CR TDI technology and know-how.

But that's my $0.02
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
    Ahhh, you got the wrong guy here. I don't recall ever being one of those complainers. I was even looking into doing things like chipping, DPF removal, etc. I am sure there are a lot of people that did whinge, but I suspect a lot of those people would not fall into the "car enthusiast" category and be active members on forums like this. I could be wrong tho.
    I said most, I definitely didn't mean you mate.

Another reason why some jumped on and bashed the brand is, they thought they could get some cash for nothing via class action. I feel sorry for those individuals.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    I would expect to see improvements in performance, economy and emissions, on something like an '08-build Tiguan.

Especially on cars that have never had the ECU flashed (by VW) previously.

We've come a long way in virtually 10 years of CR TDI technology and know-how.

But that's my $0.02
    Now that's an interesting viewpoint I hadn't considered. I would have thought the improvements would have been in the Common Rail hardware rather than the software running it though.

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Users Country Flag
    Now that's an interesting viewpoint I hadn't considered. I would have thought the improvements would have been in the Common Rail hardware rather than the software running it though.
    Keep in mind that there were the factory software updates for the VAG engines before the emission fix, which definitely improved fuel economy and reduced the turbo lag. I've done quite a lot of them. But, I'll personally void getting the current emission fix or what ever they want to call it in our family cars.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I said most, I definitely didn't mean you mate.
    There were only two of us that came back and said we wouldn't proceed with the recall fix, so if your comment wasn't directed at @Arctra it must have been directed at me. If so, you are definitely pointing in the wrong direction.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    The emissions components largely remained the same, until around 2011 for most models. T5GP (MY10, '09 builds) was the exception, already using the later generation engines, etc. But year on year, there were performance/emissions/economy improvements made, as mapping was refined, presumably for the purposes of marketing. The emissions-friendly coding would have still been there regardless.

I feel that in your case, you won't be any worse off, performance and economy-wise.

Alternatively, you could shell out the extra pesos, flash an aftermarket tune into it, and completely disregard emissions altogether
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    There were only two of us that came back and said we wouldn't proceed with the recall fix, so if your comment wasn't directed at @Arctra it must have been directed at me. If so, you are definitely pointing in the wrong direction.

I've just checked the thread in the general section. You're right and I'm sorry, I've mistaken you with someone else.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Just got a letter from the dealership I bought the Tiguan from. It seems they're offering a sweetener to help convince those on the fence to do the recall.

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Users Country Flag

If you're worried about the future updates, that they say, you won't get if you don't get the emissions update done.
    Don't worry, there weren't many, I could almost say, next to none engine software updates once the car's years out of warranty.
    Certainly, I wouldn't hope that they would sent you a letter to have your car's software update done free of charge, unless it's emission recall or some safety recall in which case they'd apply the current one as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12