Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan cluster retrofit red MFD -> white MFD or ?? colour "premium" MFD

Users Country Flag

Tiguan cluster retrofit red MFD -> white MFD or ?? colour "premium" MFD

Here's my story of a successful cluster retrofit swap from red MFD to white MFD:

BACKGROUND
    • The first Tiguans 2008-2009 came with old mk5 based red MFD cluster. I hate this cluster for it's dim blue lighting and the speedo's weird logarithmic scale that changes intervals half way through at 60KM/H. I just want to drive without going over the speed limit, without having to do maths!!

• Sometime in 2009/2010 Tiguan electronics were upgraded to Mk6-based: so white MFD cluster, BCM instead of CECM+CCM, etc. I think this was even before official "facelift"?
    • If you want to retrofit the Premium cluster with colour display, I read you need an upgraded CAN gateway 1K0 907 530 with version Q or above, or the newer 7N0 907 530 ... gateways. Sorry I don't know the upgrade pathway, I don't have ETKA here. All AUS Tiguans came with at least minimum 1K0 907 530 L gateway so no battery drain issue or errors with this white MFD cluster retrofit or RNS510 retrofit.

PARTS + TOOLS REQUIRED
    • New 'used' white MFD cluster from Tiguan, the part number I bought is 5N0 920 871 B. Cost $100 from wrecker. Make sure to match Petrol or Diesel - the tacho range is different. My old red MFD cluster part number was 5N0 920 870 D, Colour MFD clusters have a part number where the second-last digit is an 8, eg: 5N0 920 882
    • 2x new glass tranponders IVW D48 for new key, available on eBay $5-10 each. This is not required for white MFD to colour MFD swap, because the existing transponders are compatible with colour MFD. I also ordered 2x brand new key shells from eBay for $8 ea. The existing transponders are glued into the old keys and cannot be removed without risk of damage. This way I put new transponder in new key front, and use old existing remote control (rear portion of key) attached to new key front. The keys/remotes come apart in 2 pieces which is handy (compared to the newer gen keys with the small black logo which are locked down tight, almost impossible to even open!)
    • A wiring adapter is required to convert old 36pin black plug -> new 32pin blue plug. Note you don't need this if you are converting from white MFD -> colour MFD. This adapter is expensive because the only way to get an old black plug is from a broken old cluster. They are not available to order separately, whereas the blue plug and pins are about $10 on eBay. Options are to buy adapter online (cost $120+ shipped) from carsystems.pl or get a cheap old red MFD broken cluster online and solder an adapter yourself using pin wiring diagram (cost $20-50 depending on how much for broken cluster). You could also cut the loom in the car for a permanent conversion, but then you can't go back to the old red MFD cluster easily.
    • Access to original VCDS, and IMMO tool like AVDI or VVDI or Immo Plus or various other China clones etc

IMMOBILISER
    • All current Tiguan incl. 2013 use IMMO4c system (The c stands for crypto I am told) which normally/"officially" requires GEKO system for learning the Cluster-Immo to ECU, as the cluster PIN codes can't be accessed by VW. Latest VCDS software now doesn't even support IMMO4c coding functions because of this (ie difficult to get cluster PIN)
    • If doing white MFD -> colour MFD swap, the VW dealer GEKO system should be able to learn IMMO with no problem.
    • However in this retrofit, the "official" VW GEKO method of IMMO adaptation always fails because as soon as the VAS diagnostic computer detects the new cluster P/N (white MFD) doesn't match the vehicle (ie it expects an old red MFD) during the "guided flowchart process", it errors out and cancels the procedure before it ever generates the (secret) PIN logins for the clusters (because this is an unofficial retrofit after all)
    • "Officially" a used cluster cannot be adapted to IMMO, and also cannot have milage changed once KM>100km. However using an IMMO tool like AVDI (tool costs $10000+ for original) can reset used cluster to 0KM to make it like new, and then you can adjust mileage in VCDS to match the old cluster. Also immo tool can extract the IMMO block from the old cluster in HEX format, revealing all PIN, MAC, transponder IDs etc etc. This data can then be written/flashed in the 'new' cluster, kind of like an immo "clone" in the EEPROM, and then no VW dealer is necessary at all. It all just works!
    • In addition, the white MFD immo glass chip key-transponders are not compatible with red MFD transponder. They are the same actual transponder (Megamos TP23/ID48 ) but the newer cluster immo expects some certain vehicle-specific bytes written to the transponder (which is not present in transponders matched to the red MFD). The IMMO tools like VVDI etc have an RFID loop attachment where you insert a virgin transponder and it writes the required bytes into the glass chip and then it can work with the white MFD cluster right away (no need to wait 3 weeks to order a key from Germany, which is what a VW dealer will tell you).
    • I didn't require resetting any ABS coding. I read this is often required when IMMO is adapted, but not required here probably because this is a cluster-immo "clone" using the immo tool, and car electronics like ECU and ABS never realise cluster immo is even changed (ie old PIN = new PIN etc).

BONUS
    • New white dot MFD works perfect with Bluetooth 9W7 menu and new mk6 MFSW retrofit
    • The contrast of the white MFD is much better
    • Cruise control now shows a little icon in the MFD with the current CC speed value, and last used CC speed value (so you know what you will get when you press RES to restart the CC, rather than the press-and-pray method of the previous CC display where it was just a little green icon). I am not sure if the new "CH" version SWCM contributes to this. I changed the SWCM from BG to CH with the mk6 MFSW steering wheel retrofit.

A NOTE ON LOST KEYS, CODING etc

Adapter pinout if you want to DIY:
    Code:
    NEW BLUE CONNECTOR 32pin | OLD BLACK CONNECTOR 36pin | DESCRIPTION

1	17	Fuel 1 Full
    2	18	Fuel 1 Empty
    3	16	Fuel 2 Full (4motion)
    4	23	Fuel 2 Empty (4motion)
    7	7	Tranponder Coil
    8	8	Tranponder Coil
    11	26	Oil temp
    15	22	Brake pad warning
    16	19	-Kl 31 Ground
    17	34	Washer water warning
    18	35	Coolant warning
    19	36	Ambient Temp sensor
    20	33	-Kl 31 Ground, sensor ground
    25	6	Handbrake signal (reversed in Tiguan vs Golf)
    26	5	Brake fluid warning
    27	25	Oil pressure warning
    28	13	CAN high
    29	12	CAN low
    31	1	+ Kl 15
    32	2	+ Kl 30

(Pin 15 "J533 CAN gateway wake" on old BLACK connector is not used)
    Last edited by tigger73; 05-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag

Full Color MFD Cluster tiguan

Any one have them or interested? I am looking to buy one still could not find suitable one.

I know you can get colour displays in some Mk6 Golf models. These would work in the Tig but not sure what other components need to be upgraded to get this going.

Have a look to see if anyone has done this in a Golf. Looks like a good project

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I know you can get colour displays in some Mk6 Golf models. These would work in the Tig but not sure what other components need to be upgraded to get this going.

Have a look to see if anyone has done this in a Golf. Looks like a good project
    I heard Singapore Tigs come with colour MFD from factory... If we,know the part number can check from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramee View Post
    I heard Singapore Tigs come with colour MFD from factory... If we,know the part number can check from the dealer.
    The cost of owning a car in Singapore is ridiculous so no doubt they load up the options from the factory.

Just need an Autoscan from someone in Singapore....

There was a guy selling these on mytiguan.com for £200 GBP including fitting and as far as I know the only thing you need is the cluster itself and VCDS to programme everything in. I think the dealer price for this job is £500+
    2011 Candy White Tiguan R Line 170 TDI DSG | Pan roof | Park assist & RVC | RNS 510 | MDI | LED's | 20" RS5 Wheels| Bi-xenons & AFS | Front & Rear footwell lights | Door warning & puddle lights | Mirror puddle lights | LED Tail lamps | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Naresh View Post
    There was a guy selling these on mytiguan.com for £200 GBP including fitting and as far as I know the only thing you need is the cluster itself and VCDS to programme everything in. I think the dealer price for this job is £500+
    If it's like coding instrument cluster, then unfortunately can't be done with VCDS and must use something stronger like Autologic.

But realistically done by dealer only, if you can find one that will entertain and not charge an arm and a leg.
    MY11 Tiguan 147TSI (SOLD)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Naresh View Post
    BTW Naresh what is happening with your engine has the issue being resolved or is it still in limbo land?
    MY 21 T Cross 85TSI Life| Makena Turquoise | Driver Assist Package |
    Mods: VCDS tweaks |

I found this pic when I was first looking at Touregs & Tiguans. If you look close enough, or download the pic & zoom in, youll see the coloured MFD.

The MFD below shows the open door as red in colour so you notice it.

The stealer I bought mine from wasnt aware it came coloured & was surprised when I showed him this pic. I told him I wasnt shocked he didnt know..

Last edited by Dr freedom; 12-08-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Users Country Flag

Colour is indeed nicer - I guess that is part of the justification to pay more and get a Audi ?

What is with the extra cruise control (?) stalk on the LHS of the steering wheel ?
    MY18 Skoda Kodiaq TSI with Luxury and Tech packs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast