Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan aux battery

Tiguan aux battery

Hi All

Has anyone had an aux battery wired for the Tiguan

I have a small Caravan that requires power from the Car Battery to the Van via an anderson plug I know I will need a battery isolator fuses etc. just wondered if anyone has actually done it ?? I will need to run 13mm2 wiring from car battery to rear of Tiguan to charge the spare battery in the Caravan when I am driving.

Kevin

Users Country Flag
    Kevin,

have a talk to Tim at Traxide

he knows his stuff...and will be setting up a kit for our Touareg (for much the same reason as you)
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag
    Hi Kevin,

I've fitted two 26AH AGM batteries next to the spare tyre in the boot with a Red Arc BCDC1220 charger and it works great! I can run a fridge in the back without fear of draining the main battery.

With a Waeco 35L, I can get on average 1 - 2 days runtime if the weathers not too hot!

Cheers,
    MCL
    MY11 Tiguan, 147TSI, Pepper Grey, DSG, Panoramic Sunroof, RVC, Bluetooth, MDI...

Users Country Flag
    wow...that's an expensive bit of kit.

Traxide's kit (inclujding an 80amp dual battery controller and all required wiring etc) for $380.00. All you have to do is buy the battery.

That's the way I'll be going.

Quote Originally Posted by mcl View Post
    Hi Kevin,

I've fitted two 26AH AGM batteries next to the spare tyre in the boot with a Red Arc BCDC1220 charger and it works great! I can run a fridge in the back without fear of draining the main battery.

With a Waeco 35L, I can get on average 1 - 2 days runtime if the weathers not too hot!

Cheers,
    MCL
    Last edited by Transporter; 23-11-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Thanks Guys

Also MCL how did you run the wiring dow through the car to get to the two batteries was it just put under the plastic trim at the bottom of the door where it meets the carpet.

Kevin

Users Country Flag
    The Redarc may be a safer option for today's cars, and there is no need for heavy wiring. You can also get BCDC1240 (40A) and with both you can connect solar panel without the need for the controller.

FJ Steve
    mate, if it's for the Touareg, just make sure that your electrician is familiar with the Touareg wiring. I have sent one of my customer to autoelectrician to fit the brake controller to his Touareg and it was the nightmare for him, costing him $$ in the rapairs after.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    FJ Steve
    mate, if it's for the Touareg, just make sure that your electrician is familiar with the Touareg wiring. I have sent one of my customer to autoelectrician to fit the brake controller to his Touareg and it was the nightmare for him, costing him $$ in the rapairs after.
    yep..we have covered all bases on that front. The kit is well suited for the Touareg (he has supplied them before). Tim is VERY conversant with CANBUS systems. I have every confidence in him.

Thanks for the heads-up tho'.

OK guys

Can I do this yes I can but should I

I have always wired my previous vehicles like this Nissan Patrol / Toyota Prado with no problems whatsoever.

Tiguan 2010 TD auto

VW fitted towbar and wiring both done by VW dealer

I intend to mount a prodigy Brake controller + and - direct wired to battery terminals with auto reset circuit breaker. Brake signal taken from seven pin plug at towbar end and run back to brake controller then trailer brake wire run back to the 7 pin plug hopefully bypassing all Tiguan wiring.

Aux battery charging. Again + / - wired direct to battery via fuse and wires running direct to rear Anderson plug and then to a Redarc or Ctek DC DC charger and Aux battery mounted in my Caravan.

I am confident in doing this as I have done it before but not sure if it will cause any problems with the sensitive Tiguan electrics.

Just on a lighter note I purchased the Tiguan to hopefully do what I wanted not what the car will allow me to do my wife seems confused / amused when I explain that we cant do that the Tiguan wont let us

Also can anyone tell me what Amps the alternator is rated at.

Can anyone see any problems If I do this or do I get VW dealer to do it.

Dealer quotes for fitting the brake controller if I supply it range from $640.00 to $960.00 five hours labour to run and connect 4 wires !!! I havnt asked the price for the Aux battery charging wiring yet.

Love my Tiguan but when it comes to things like this there seems to be nothing but you cant do this you cant do that etc. etc.

Thanks for all the help given so far

Kevin

Users Country Flag
    If you've done it before, you can do it. With the BCDC charger you don't have to worry about the alternator, it's strong enough for that.

Users Country Flag

Hi MCL, I've found this thread in the chat. This is exactly what I'm attempting to do now in my 2012 TDi Tiguan. Just wondering if you have any photos of the completed fitout? especially in the boot area with the battery placement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast