Thread: Tiguan 5N lower mould removal.

Tiguan 5N lower mould removal.

Hey Bugs
    I'm wanting to remove all the textured black moulds on my 2010 Tiguan so I can smooth them out and colour code them. I was just wondering if removing the moulds is as simple as it looks? To me it looks like a few screws and I'm guessing some double sided tape that I should be able to remove without taking off the bumpers/door skins or is there hidden mounting points that I won't be able to access without removing the bumpers/skins?

Also if anyone in Perth has an electric random orbital sander with a soft pad and a panel stand I could borrow for a couple of days in exchange for a 4/6 pack it'd be greatly appreciated 😬

TIA

Users Country Flag
    I had to replace a door a fw years back on my wife's tiguan when a parking bollard jumped out and hit the passenger door while my lovely other half was sitting in the car enjoying a lovely drive. but I digress.

I found a replacement door in the right colour but I thought I might recover some spares including the lower plastic mould. They are clipped in and double side taped. if I had few hrs spare I'm sure i could remove them without damaging the plastic but i just gave up when the plastic started to show too much resistance to being removed.

My suggestion is to find a wrecker that will give you an old door that had a hit and see if you can remove the plastic.

Users Country Flag
    Most of those decorative moulds on SUV's are held on with plastic clips and no doubt some double sided tape also. Be prepared for a bunch of those clips to break when you remove the moulds because they are not designed to be reused.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Door query

Those bollards can be lively!
    Last edited by Woodlark; 15-07-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Missed name the first time, now duplicate..

Users Country Flag
    Hi tek199,

I have a similar issue....wife was backed into...damage seems to be confined to left front passenger door. What issues did you find with the replacement?
    Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodlark View Post
    Hi tek199,

I have a similar issue....wife was backed into...damage seems to be confined to left front passenger door. What issues did you find with the replacement?
    Thanks
    Mine is a 147TSI (ie chrome window trim model) what a PITA to move the chrome without damage. I got lucky finding the right colour door with chrome trim already fitted.

The replacement physically couldn't be easier. Unclick the wiring loom connector near the pillar. Unbolt the hinges using the 12 point hex socket bit after undoing the door stop strip. Refit using the reverse procedure. Super easy.

Users Country Flag

Hi tek199, thanks for that, sounds good. Mine is early model blue so having trouble finding a match but still looking; only one blue so far but it was the dark one.