Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Group Buy Tiguan 'New York' Replica Wheels

Users Country Flag

Potential Group Buy Tiguan 'New York' Replica Wheels

Just looking to see if there are many folks our there looking to upgrade from their standard Tiguan wheels to the 'New York' style. I've been wanting to do it for a while now, but was recently quoted $2850 by 3 seperate VW dealers around Melbourne for 4 New York wheels not including tyres.

While looking, I tried to limit myself to $2000 including tyres that weren't steaming piles of dross......

Have a good friend who works for a large healthcare company sourcing products from China - after a few enquiries through his contacts, I've managed to find a company that can make exact replica's on the 18inch New York rim (not including centre cap), landed in Melbourne for approximately $175 each. Only downfall is that there is a minimum of 40 units per order.

Therefore, if I can get a minimum of 7 Tiguan owners interested in upgrading, I'm happy to fill the rest of the order and just get rid of them over time! Obviously it would be preferable to fill a full order, but I won't get my hopes up too much!

What standards will these cheap china rims be built too?

Users Country Flag
    I think the problem you will have is that the NEw York style wheels aren't really in huge demand anyway.
    Add this to the fact you can get VW/Audi replicas or other brands for around $200 a wheel from tempetyres/GTC etc and people will just go for something different that they like the design of.

Just my two cents on the matter, good luck with the group buy though.

Users Country Flag
    Plus the genuine oem NY with tyre weighs 28kg! 16" oem with tyre weighs 16kg.
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    donweather - from what I've been told, the same factory supplies multiple wheel businesses across Australia. They couldn't give me names, but I assume it would be the stores that do replica's that are reasonably priced like Tempe. I'm in the process of negotiating getting a sample sent across so will keep you posted with how I go if you're interested.

team_v - That was my initial concern, but I have seen a few people on VWW and other forums asking if anyone is willing to sell a set of them. I guess with them being so expensive to get new from the VW dealer, it might have turned people off looking all together, so offering a cheaper alternative may get a little interest. At least I hope that is what has happened anyway! haha I know it's a long shot, but I can only hope...... The main reason I'm looking at the New York's is because I'm not all that keen on getting non-Tiguan wheels - don't get me wrong, the look of the darker Omanyt replicas on your Tig looks absolutely amazing, but I want to keep the factory look. My perfect plan is to get the New York wheels and keep the rest of the car looking stock, then get a stage 1 and potentially 2 done so when I pull up at the lights people don't look twice at the Tig until it's off in the distance! If the group order falls through, I'm most likely going to look at getting the 19" Omanyt replicas in the standard colour. Would you recommend them?

Users Country Flag
    I just bought a tig with New Yorks on it, the previous owner did manage to rash all of them to some extent so would need a touch up (and would need to be factored in to any offers), but I would be willing to sell them to purchase some aftermarkets, I'm in Brisbane but would be happy to organise transport if anyone was interested and could come up with a price that we're both happy with. Just PM me if interested.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePossum View Post
    donweather - from what I've been told, the same factory supplies multiple wheel businesses across Australia. They couldn't give me names, but I assume it would be the stores that do replica's that are reasonably priced like Tempe. I'm in the process of negotiating getting a sample sent across so will keep you posted with how I go if you're interested.

team_v - That was my initial concern, but I have seen a few people on VWW and other forums asking if anyone is willing to sell a set of them. I guess with them being so expensive to get new from the VW dealer, it might have turned people off looking all together, so offering a cheaper alternative may get a little interest. At least I hope that is what has happened anyway! haha I know it's a long shot, but I can only hope...... The main reason I'm looking at the New York's is because I'm not all that keen on getting non-Tiguan wheels - don't get me wrong, the look of the darker Omanyt replicas on your Tig looks absolutely amazing, but I want to keep the factory look. My perfect plan is to get the New York wheels and keep the rest of the car looking stock, then get a stage 1 and potentially 2 done so when I pull up at the lights people don't look twice at the Tig until it's off in the distance! If the group order falls through, I'm most likely going to look at getting the 19" Omanyt replicas in the standard colour. Would you recommend them?
    The 19" Omanyt wheels were the option for the Tiguan R-Line in the EU and US.
    They really suit the larger shape and lines of the car but the replicas were a tad heavy so i went with the lighter enkei's since i take min to happy laps.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    The 19" Omanyt wheels were the option for the Tiguan R-Line in the EU and US.
    They really suit the larger shape and lines of the car but the replicas were a tad heavy so i went with the lighter enkei's since i take min to happy laps.
    That's good to know, I didn't realise they were an option!

Were you happy with them away from the track?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePossum View Post
    That's good to know, I didn't realise they were an option!

Were you happy with them away from the track?
    Away from the track they were great.
    It was only when i swapped the enkeis over that i felt the steering lighten and feel more responsive but on regular roads it wouldn't make much of a difference.

They were only an OEM option in EU and US markets.
    Same with the Savannah alloys.

why does US and EU get the 19" as standard and we have to settle for the 18" as standard on the R-line!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast