Thread: Tig rear door not unlocking

Users Country Flag

Tig rear door not unlocking

Our rear left door has an unlocking issue.

The door is closed and the inside and outside handle both wont open the door. I have tried, multiple unlock/re lock cycles, also tried a few hacks, like coat hanger wire in from the outside handle all to no avail.

I have managed to remove the interior door trim with the door closed (not fun) and now have access to the locking mechanism.

When cycling the mechanism, it all seems to work fine, but obviously there is a problem somewhere? I managed to open it once, checked the child safety lock was in the off position and then re closed the door.

Now it wont open again.

Any ideas, common fault? Is this a new door actuator or??
    Dave.
    103 TDI 7spd DSG
    Porsche Boxster S 3.2L for sunny days.
    Real 4WD Toyota Landcruiser HZJ105

If it's a child lock it should still be able to be opened from the outside (just not inside).

Suggest looking at the locking mechanism. I've had the doors apart before but wasn't ever looking at the locks so can't help much more.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Wont open from either.
    Dave.
    103 TDI 7spd DSG

Then looking at a new locking mechanism.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Then looking at a new locking mechanism.
    Any idea on how to open the door.
    I have an angle grinder.......
    Dave.
    103 TDI 7spd DSG

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarelloman View Post
    Any idea on how to open the door.
    I have an angle grinder.......
    Not sure if it’s possible to take the door trims off with the door closed. But that’s what I would try. They’ll have to come off anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    before angle grinder... have a look at this video of the VW door lock in operation. (its for the front door but I think rear might be similar) . It might give you ideas which levers to "attack" before Angle grinder solution.

YouTube: Front door lock operation

And this video showing what fails that may prevent door opening (including how to reset it)

Users Country Flag
    Hi All. I have had the same problem with my 2010 Tiguan. Rear passenger side door. Will not open from either inside or outside when unlocked. I am very lucky that on the 10th attempt to unlock this door, it did unlock; so I have been able to do all the work with the door open. I am in the process of removing the door locking mechanism from the door to examine it and see if I can repair it or have to replace it. So far I have :

1. Removed the inner door trim. (easy - three bolts (one at the bottom of the interior trim panel and two behind a trim piece in the interior door handle/puller) and a bunch of christmas tree clips that need to be pulled out - tip - invest in a trim removal kit. They are cheap and may save a few of the christmas trees.) A few videos on the internet already exist for this process.
    2. Removed the spreader pin and spreader plug from where the window connects to the window regulator. (you have to do this in order to remove the 'inner' door trim, sometimes referred to as the subframe - black panel that houses the speaker, window motor, window regulator and door lock). This process was an absolute pain; literally (smacked myself in the head with a pair of pliers trying to remove the spreader pin). I am making a video of this process to help others.
    3. I have lifted the window up out of the regulator bracket and taped the window in the 'closed' position.

It took me a while to figure all this out because there are not many videos on the internet on my specific Tiguan Model, which appears to be different from many other models - it is the first Tiguan to have the DSG 7sp gearbox.

I will post further progress; unless I completely stuff it up; in which case I will post a picture of a cat.

The two videos posted earlier in this thread are useful, but the mechanisms are different for my Tiguan so they were more used for inspiration to have a go at figuring it out myself.

Cheers. Jason
    Last edited by JasonT; 06-04-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Users Country Flag

Continuing on from my previous post

4. Unclipped the wiring harness from the main body of the car and pushed it in to the door.
    5. removed all remaining screws holding the subframe to the door panel.
    6. Removed the door handle from the outside of the car.
    7. removed the screw from behind the door handle. The screw holds the door handle mounting plate in place.
    8. removed the screw holding the top of the window regulator.
    9. Unbolted the two bolds holding the door latch in place.
    10. gently pulled the subframe out of the door by pulling down and out; on an angle to work the regulator and the door locking mechanism from the door. It does get a little caught; but gentle manipulation wins over.

I generally followed the instructions in the Service and Repair Manual; but you do need to use your initiative because there is some assumed knowledge and if you are not a VW Tech, then you need to figure that stuff out as you go.

I have now taken out the "sub frame" which is the black panel that holds the speaker, window regulator and door locking mechanism in place. As with many things with our VW, it was not intuitive. One important note was that you need to remove the door handle from the outside of the door and then remove the little T15 (I think) screw that is sitting behind the door handle. This is not obvious, but it will prevent you from removing the subframe from the door.

Anyhoo; I did manage to get everything removed, inspected the locking mechanism. All seems to be in order. No obvious problem with springs, levers, cables. I did lubricate the unit and have put it back in place; but I still have the problem of the door only unlocking intermittently; so I suspect I need to replace the unit.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a new spare part; other than from Volkswagen. I have done a brief search on the internet, but none of the options fill me with confidence yet. I did leave a message for Tooley Imports - but other than that, I really could only find a bunch of second hand parts and I would prefer a new part given the importance of this part and the effort in replacing it.

Cheers. Jason
    Last edited by JasonT; 06-04-2021 at 12:20 PM.