Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying tiguan. Diesel or petrol

Users Country Flag

You will have to decide which is more important before going any further .... performance or fuel economy.

The diesel Tiguans is positively lethargic compared to the petrol Tiguans, but delivers excellent economy. That said a fuel economy for a petrol Tiguan is actually pretty good considering its a 1600kg AWD petrol turbo vehicle.

There is a massive difference in performance though, over 3 seconds 0-100km/h and more importantly again over 3 seconds 80-120km/h which reflects poorly on the diesel's overtaking abilities should you need it.

Otherwise, both excellent cars. Drive and decide, easy.

Should you be an actual revhead, the tuneability of the petrol delivers genuine sub 6s 0-100km/h easily which is half the time it will take the diesel without a real penalty in fuel consumption. Still your call and no amount advice from us matters, drive it and make your own decision
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Thanks sharkie, I've been researching last night and I think for the missus car and school run, we are going for deisel. The wife is not worried about performance, she drives like a granny. (Test driving both car this weekend)

Any way I have my owned V6 Bora to give me some performance driving pleasure.
    2009 Tiguan TDI and 2007 Passat TDI

Im loving my diesel.. I used to look for BP every few days or so, now its once every 2- 3 weeks.

I bought a Tiguan TDI recently.

Main reason - don't want to visit the pump every week.

Added bonus: The diesel prices don't fluctuate much from one day to another and from pump to pump.

Diesels are a bit sluggish when compared with petrols but I can live with it.

petrol is so 1990's..

Users Country Flag
    Hi

We have the Diesel, with the 7 speed DSG, typically with a mix of freeway and Regional driving (i.e not heavy city traffic, but stop start), we have a long term average of 6.5 l/100 (as per DIS), typically when we fill the trip meter is 850-900 kms, have had exceptional >1,000 but not common.

Like the other posters, yes sacrifice acceleration, but agree the Diesel price doesn't move nearly as much as ULP.
    MY19 162 Highline R-Line, SVP, Pano roof, Pure White

Users Country Flag

Re: Thinking of buying tiguan. Diesel or petrol

....and the diesel engine will last you much longer, if you do a lot of driving per year.

Sent from my GT-N8000

The reason I bought diesel was not the economy, but the lazy huge torque from idle which was similar to the V6 petrol territory I was matching
    TDI tiguan in the drive. ParkAssist, comfort, fogs
    Service every 15,000, new fault code every 7,500km

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanman View Post
    The reason I bought diesel was not the economy, but the lazy huge torque from idle which was similar to the V6 petrol territory I was matching
    That's the same reason i got the 2.0TSI and tuned it

Users Country Flag

Took delivery of the better halfs TDI DSG yesterday. Still much prefer the power mine has although after driving both back to back, the lag in mine became noticable. The diesels power delivery is incredibly linear in standard driving in 'D', and more than adequate for most peoples needs. (Says he who's looking towards stage 2... which will now go unnoticed given she's got her own Tig to drive.)
    Pepper Grey MY11 TIGUAN 125 TSI DSG | APR Stage 1 | Comfort Pack | Carpet Mats | MDI | BT | Tint | Custom Audio

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast