Support VWWC

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Thread: Team_v's Tig

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    Awesome, still going strong! Bit of a milestone... Going to hang onto it for another few years? I always meant to ask if you ever needed to (or not!) had the timing chain tensioner replaced in yours?

Will hit 115000 in mine this weekend!
    It took 6.5 years to hit 50k which is quite a bit below the average usage.
    Going to hang on to it until it hits 20 years or 200k and then look at moving onto something else.

Haven't had any issues with the clutch, water pump, coil packs or timing chain, even though it has been tuned for essentially it's whole life and taken on many happy laps sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    Going to hang on to it until it hits 20 years or 200k and then look at moving onto something else.
    I will look forward to 2030 to see what you end up with!!!
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Just realised it's been a while since I did an update on how things are going.
    Largely there have been no problems with the car to warrant writing about.

Car is now 11 years old and has just over 72,000km on it.
    Still no mechanical issues and still gets driven quite spiritedly.

A few months ago the rear boot catch would randomly unlock while driving or after closing. I bought a replacement latch and fitted that but it still didn't solve the problem.
    It turns out the wiring in the boot hatch cavity wasn't fully insulated (covered in some furry black tape) and had been rubbing on the metal door inner and was shorting out and activating the boot latch.
    I wrapped it in some electrical tape until it goes in for it's next service and that has solved the issue.

The aftermarket RNS510 volume started randomly going up and down one day last month but after turning the system off for a few minutes it has been working fine since.

And finally i had the ignition barrel lock on me so I couldn't turn the key to start the car. Apparently this is a common issue with VW's in the 2000-2012 period. Got a locksmith to come out and replace the ignition barrel at a cost of $1000 (for parts and 1.5 hours labour) and it worked. However they seem to have done something to the windscreen wiper wiring while fitting the new ignition barrel as every now and then the windscreen wiper jets will spray and the wipers will run. I am tossing up whether to get them to come back and fix it or wait for it's service next month and send them the invoice for the wiper issue if it is costly.

Otherwise the car has been performing flawlessly and still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    Just realised it's been a while since I did an update on how things are going.
    Largely there have been no problems with the car to warrant writing about.

Car is now 11 years old and has just over 72,000km on it.
    Still no mechanical issues and still gets driven quite spiritedly.

A few months ago the rear boot catch would randomly unlock while driving or after closing. I bought a replacement latch and fitted that but it still didn't solve the problem.
    It turns out the wiring in the boot hatch cavity wasn't fully insulated (covered in some furry black tape) and had been rubbing on the metal door inner and was shorting out and activating the boot latch.
    I wrapped it in some electrical tape until it goes in for it's next service and that has solved the issue.

The aftermarket RNS510 volume started randomly going up and down one day last month but after turning the system off for a few minutes it has been working fine since.

And finally i had the ignition barrel lock on me so I couldn't turn the key to start the car. Apparently this is a common issue with VW's in the 2000-2012 period. Got a locksmith to come out and replace the ignition barrel at a cost of $1000 (for parts and 1.5 hours labour) and it worked. However they seem to have done something to the windscreen wiper wiring while fitting the new ignition barrel as every now and then the windscreen wiper jets will spray and the wipers will run. I am tossing up whether to get them to come back and fix it or wait for it's service next month and send them the invoice for the wiper issue if it is costly.

Otherwise the car has been performing flawlessly and still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
    Clay! Welcome back, glad to hear you still love the Tig, 11 years ... its been a while, wow.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

It’s good to see that some Tig members keeping theirs for 10+ years. We still have our 2010 TDI with 6sp Auto (not DSG), it’s done 105,000km. I’ve just only recently replaced the parking brake switch, the original tyres lasted only 30,000km, so fitted Cooper tires and replaced them at 95,000km with still 3mm tread remaining (perished sidewalls from Sun). The ATE ceramic pads were fitted when the car was new, and they should last another 100,000km at least. So, yes, we’re very happy with ours. No plans to replace it.

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273