Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flappy paddles steering wheel in Tiguan.

Users Country Flag

Flappy paddles steering wheel in Tiguan.

WARNING: The following information is provided as a general "heads up" only (based on my installation experience with a MY11 Tiguan). I accept NO responsibility for the accuracy of this information; or for people's actual outcomes; or for any personal losses or injuries suffered should you rely on this information.

Parts Required:
    Mk6 Golf MFSW with DSG paddles
    Mk6 Golf Airbag (as Tiguan airbag is a different shape)
    Wiring to hookup airbag & steering wheel

Existing Tiguan airbag
    NOTE: Shape of airbag casing not compatible with Mk6 Golf MFSW

Existing Tiguan MFSW
    NOTE: Whilst shape is different and without paddles, buttons are exactly the same as Mk6 Golf MFSW

Install & Tools Required:
    I recommend just taking it to a mechanic who has them all on hand and knows what they're doing.
    If need be, I can give you contact details of mine (located in Western Sydney), who now has first hand experience with the retrofit.

NOTE: For those who are game, here's a very old guide that can be used as a reference: http://touran.dk/images/PDF/multifunktion.pdf
    However it ain't a Tiguan retrofit guide and the parts listed are probably outdated now and only appropriate for retrofitting from the older steering wheels.

But do heed to the warnings in that guide about handling the airbag! Don't want to see the world's second full-face transplant due to one going off accidentally!

Sourcing Parts:
    Mk6 Golf steering wheels can be found on eBay, but it's much harder to find one complete with DSG paddles and airbag.
    As demand is high and supplies are low, I'd suggest you just jump on the first wheel that comes up with paddles.
    I'm afraid that beggars can't be choosers when it comes to:
    1) colour of inserts;
    2) colour of stitching; and
    3) with or without 'GTI' or 'R' badging at the flat bottom.

But fortunately for me ... the luck of the draw resulted in a chrome with black 'GTI' badging which (you'd have to agree) goes well with the rest of my interior pictured above.

NOTE: The most expensive part is the airbag, as I have been told that it costs $1,200 if sourced locally from a dealer.

Mine was purchased complete with airbag from eBay seller (ccc2_123) in Romania, but outside of eBay for $700 USD shipped.

Direct contact details (if you also want something close to the above "non-eBay" price):
    Carstoiu Cornel
    ccc_cornel@yahoo.com

Other places that may have it:
    VW Golf 5 & 6 GTi/Scirocco DSG multi-function Steering wheel

This mob just sell the airbags (if you can't secure one with the steering wheel):
    http://orientalparts.com/Steering-Wh...-P2184584.aspx

Existing wiring off a MY11 Tiguan looks exactly the same as Mk6 Golf wiring. So not required, if you intend to keep both wheels or if not provided with Golf steering wheel or airbag purchase. Refer to pics below for part number.

Existing steering wheel control module (SWCM) off a MY11 Tiguan is 100% compatible with a Mk6 Golf MFSW with DSG paddles. So not required, if you have the right one. Refer to pic below for the compatible Tiguan SWCM part number.

NOTE: All along ... I suspected that if I already have the same multi-function buttons on my existing Tig steering wheel and the same white MFD as a Mk6 Golf, then adding paddles shouldn't require the Mk6 Golf SWCM. In other words, MY11 Tiguan & Mk6 Golf share the same software in this case. Turns out my instincts were right and gamble paid off!

Now my gut feel would go as far as saying the same logic should also apply to other VW models with DSG, but no paddles (provided they have the same MFSW buttons and white MFD display as a Mk6 Golf).

Nevertheless, you will need to make your own enquiries as to whether you do have all the necessary parts. This is especially the case, if all parts are bought separately from different sellers or if attempting to install on a different (Year or Model) vehicle. But my pictures below may help to confirm part numbers when talking to sellers. I would suggest you either send them these pics or ask them to send you some to compare to these, before committing to buy.

TIPS:
    Hardest part is removing the airbag. Bitch is fitted on very tight at factory, with the clips refusing to budge without brute force.
    Also the 4 spring loaded white cups on the airbag fit very snug in the 4 grooves on the steering wheel.

You will need two decent size flat head screwdrivers. One to push and permanently keep the clip to the left or right depending on which side (step 1) and another to push the top of the clip down and towards your face (step 2).

It would also help to have an extra pair of hands to pull the front face of the whole airbag while you perform step 2. But the key is to only get the other person to pull when you're absolutely sure you have the clip going through the hole during step 2 as shown in the second pic.

I definitely can confirm the following:

1) No need to change existing control module. MY11 Tig's SWCM (5K0 953 521 AT) is 100% compatible!

2) All MFSW buttons functioned (including lights) & horn worked and was the same as before.

3) Just one additional check box to be ticked in Steering Wheel module (using VCDS). Refer to pics below.

4) No need to disconnect the battery during the entire process. Just insert key in ignition and turn to "on" position, but don't start engine!

CONTINUE ON NEXT POST
    Last edited by aussietig; 15-11-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    MY11 Tiguan 147TSI (SOLD)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    VCDS Coding Change
    NOTE: Very simple and is the easiest part of this retrofit

Before:

After:

Mk6 Golf airbag

Existing Tiguan airbag & wiring
    NOTE: Tigs seem to have an extra earth wire & connector directly on the back of the airbag. Not available on the Mk6 Golf airbag.

Wiring supplied with Mk6 Golf Steering Wheel
    NOTE: Was the same as existing Tiguan wiring, except there's no extra earth wire (noted above) to back of airbag.
    Last edited by aussietig; 29-03-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks for the writeup. Upgrading to a wheel with paddels is one of those things on my wishlist. My friend buys damaged VW's for parts or to repair and sell so if he ends up with a spare wheel I might try and claim it.

Users Country Flag
    Excellent write up. Thank you, don't think it's for me though.

Users Country Flag
    Thank you for the obvious effort it took to write all this up. It would be a great mod with a chipped Tiguan.

As it turns out, instead of getting a wheel from my friend, I can buy one from the UK while they're on special and then sell the airbag and other duplicated bits to him so that he can use them to repair another car. What I once thought would be a $2000+ operation should now only be a couple of hundred dollars - bargain of the year. My friend obviously has taken more than a few steering wheels off and said he'd give me a hand. I asked him about the torque wrench but he said that there's a 'clock spring' (spelling might be off there) that negates the need for it - we didn't see it in any of the pictures in this thread, but I think I saw one in another guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartiguan View Post
    Thank you for the obvious effort it took to write all this up. It would be a great mod with a chipped Tiguan.
    Thank you all for the feedback!

But I would highly recommend this mod to anyone with DSG regardless of whether chipped or not!

It fricken annoys me (like missing front window tints), why we keep getting unfinished or budget parts and not even the option to pay more and upgrade to fully functional parts!

I fear the worse will come one day, when more and more creature comforts get deleted when you buy VWs.

Definitely "choice" is not one of those buzz words circulating in the company! Unlike their Audi counterparts.

Anyhow FWIW, I find using the shifter a real PITA and refuse to use it:

1) It's on a weird and awkward angle when engaged;

2) Up & down shifting is unnatural and perhaps was designed with the Irish market in mind.

NOTE: I've wondered if those fortunate enough to have chipped their Tigs don't just accidentally shift down when they're thrown back into your seat, after shifting up during launch control?

But most of all, the convenience & ease with paddle shifting is priceless, especially round corners and windy roads!
    Last edited by aussietig; 06-09-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Are you still using the stock paddles or will you upgrade to those larger ones (see the index thread in the Mk6 Golf section (I'm on the phone browser atm)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Are you still using the stock paddles or will you upgrade to those larger ones (see the index thread in the Mk6 Golf section (I'm on the phone browser atm)
    No been there and done that!

Waste of money and a complete rip-off for what you're getting IMO!

Most are add-ons and completely cover the lighting on the paddles.

But importantly, the design of the wheel and thumb rest results in the stock paddles being in the most optimum spot for shifting.

You will not be pressing the paddle from anywhere higher than the stock's position
    Last edited by aussietig; 06-09-2011 at 08:52 AM.

I ordered a wheel with paddles from these guys as per your post about 11 days ago, and it just arrived today. I prefer not incorrectly having the GTI badge on the wheel - so it's identical to my current Golf 6 wheel besides the paddles and the flat bottom (as far as I can see from the picture, I haven't actually opened the box yet).

Will try and get it fitted in the next few days. Then I'll try to sell the left-over bits to maximise the bargain of this special (someone here once said that this would be a ~$2000 uprgade).
    Last edited by Ryan_R; 20-10-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast