Thread: Stinky 2008 Tiguan TDI

Question Stinky 2008 Tiguan TDI

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a 2008 TDI (CBAB Engine) Auto Tiguan. There is what appears to be an exhaust leak which is coming in through the vents when idle. I believe the leak is coming from behind the engine and I am trying to work out if it's the EGR that is leaking or the exhaust where the dump pie joins to the back of the turbo. If the EGR was leaking would I be expecting to see a check engine light or a code stored? I have scanned the car and there is nothing of relevance shown. I have considered trying to block the ports on the EGR but expect that to cause errors. Does anyone have any ideas as I don't really want to drive the car like this. Thanks!

Cheers

Steven
    2008 Tiguan
    2018 Golf AllTrack

Users Country Flag
    The EGR will prompt an error code if its restricted/blocked, but if its got a mild leak i very much doubt it will trigger an error code.

Its probably more likely to be leaking from the exhaust (either where the turbo and exhaust meet or further down under the car where there is a slip joint fitting).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    V-band on the dump pipe is often not tight enough.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks for the replies guys. The smell is definitely coming from the engine bay. I noted the v-band and allen head bolt on the clamp was kind of chewed out. I removed the clamp and saw the dump pipe wasn't square in alignment with the turbo so I undid some of the clamps lower down so I could re-position it and tightened it back up as best I could. I suspect the gasket between both parts is stuffed. Is vw the best place to buy the v-band clamp and the gasket or is there a sponsor or other vendor which may be a better option? Thanks!
    2008 Tiguan
    2018 Golf AllTrack

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sikdub View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. The smell is definitely coming from the engine bay. I noted the v-band and allen head bolt on the clamp was kind of chewed out. I removed the clamp and saw the dump pipe wasn't square in alignment with the turbo so I undid some of the clamps lower down so I could re-position it and tightened it back up as best I could. I suspect the gasket between both parts is stuffed. Is vw the best place to buy the v-band clamp and the gasket or is there a sponsor or other vendor which may be a better option? Thanks!
    I have not seen anyone locally selling these parts so best bet would be to grab them from VW directly.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

+1 what Lucas said. Often with these smaller items the cost of freight is as much as the part and it works out cheaper to pick it up from your local dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Awesome, thank you!
    2008 Tiguan
    2018 Golf AllTrack