Thread: Rough/Jerky Acceleration

Users Country Flag

Rough/Jerky Acceleration

Hi guys I have recently gone from the Tiguan APR Stage 1, 2013 Version to the latest revision/version available of the APR Stage 1 tune. Coincidentally, immediately after this was done I had one of the intake flaps fail (a common and unrelated issue to the APR tune) then also the oil light came on about an hr after that.

That day I topped up the oil to the correct levels using VW 502.00 grade oil as recommended in the manual, however I now see that VW 502.00 oil can be 5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 10w40. Through this mistake I ended up with a combination of 5w30/10w30/10w40 in my engine... I have since come to learn that the dealer only uses 5w30 when servicing. I am about to drain the engine of oil/replace oil filter and retop with Castrol 5w30.

The intake manifold was replaced with the latest version of the part by the dealership

My issue is that upon the first start of the day (cold start) the acceleration is very rough/sputtering/jerky for about 30secs before becoming fine and driving completely normally.

Has anyone or is anyone else having this issue?

Many thanks!

Users Country Flag
    Not sure id it is related or not, but my E85 Tuned Caldina is no different. If I turn it on, drive straight away and accelerate up the road it will actually stall when I lift off the power.
    Before tuning it never had any issues at all with start/stall.

Possibly might be the same with the Tig after tuning?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by rentaspace View Post
    Not sure id it is related or not, but my E85 Tuned Caldina is no different. If I turn it on, drive straight away and accelerate up the road it will actually stall when I lift off the power.
    Before tuning it never had any issues at all with start/stall.

Possibly might be the same with the Tig after tuning?
    Yes so I figured it out, its not the cars fault. Basically the APR Tune has a different way of handling cold starts as compared to the stock configuration. If you let the car run for 30secs-1min then drive, no issue at all. The stock setup you can drive straight away without waiting but the tune does things differently with heating the CAT etc..

Basically it is the tune and since I want to sell this car privately and a new buyer might not understand all this and think I've sold them a lemon, it would just be easier to have the tune removed.

Users Country Flag
    Is the APR tune from a chip or anything that can be re-downloaded to another ECU or is it a flash over the stock ECU firmware?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It's basically a flash over the stock ECU firmware for the fuel mapping etc

Users Country Flag
    Ah damn haha, was hoping it was a plug in thing haha. I want to tune the Tig but no money to do so lol.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Lanos,
    I have installed APR stage 1 + v2.4 (the most recent version optimized for the carbonio intake) onto one of my Tig's and I do find the accelerator pedal is much more sensitive (which is good) and much more power down low. I haven't experienced the symptoms you've described. Perhaps check with you local APR tuner or mechanic. Best of luck!

If you're worried it's going to show up during a test drive, your APR dealer should be able to flash it back to stock for you.

There's 2 schools of thought to either sell with the tune (new owner ahs the benefit) or to flash back to stock (so the new owner doesn't know it's been tuned). If it's out of warranty then it's less of an issue.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build