Thread: roof racks + ski holder

roof racks + ski holder

Hi Guys
    Have any of you installed roof racks to your tiguan and a Ski/Snowboard holder? I'm looking at getting one for my R-line for the upcoming snow season and was wondering what you guys recommend and how much am I looking at?
    Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Just finished a road trip to Darwin. My 2012 132TSi Tiguan Pacific performed beautifully throughout the entire 6,200 km.
    The Tig was fully loaded with camping gear, food clothes etc. with a Yakima SkyBox 16s mounted on Prorack S-Wing roof bars. These produced negligible wind noise even when cruising at the Northern Territory speed limit of 130 kph. The cost around $300 from Supercheap in Townsville.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roof racks + ski holder-dsc_0007-jpg  

I had a set of Pro-Rack Whispbars installed on Tig1 and thought they were one of the better looking bars available. However these will only suit a car without a sunroof.

Check out the roof rack thread here: Roof Rack Cross bars VW geniune bars

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    $300 for Yakima skybox!! That's cheap!! Good buy there mate!
    I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap roof box to go on my pro rack whispbar roof racks for my R36 Wagon. Keen to use it to throw my skis and gear up there rather than in the car seeing as I know have two children that take up room on the back seat!!
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I had a set of Pro-Rack Whispbars installed on Tig1 and thought they were one of the better looking bars available. However these will only suit a car without a sunroof.

Check out the roof rack thread here: Roof Rack Cross bars VW geniune bars
    Damn they look good for the price but I have the panoramic sunroof so it won't work!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by romaniac View Post
    Have any of you installed roof racks to your tiguan and a Ski/Snowboard holder?=
    I use a set of Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars on my Tig, which cost a little over $300 new. They are very low profile, lockable, and one of the few bars that come in black, which I think suits the TDI better because it has less chrome than some of the other models. The other benefit is that all the accessories that I previously used on my 15 year old Forester crossbars fit, which means I didn't have to buy them again. Also, because they have been around the Australian market forever, there are always lightly used accessories, like ski and snowboard holders, going for cheap on eBay and gumtree. However, I have no idea if they work with the sunroof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roof racks + ski holder-img_2975-jpg   roof racks + ski holder-img_2979-jpg  

roof racks + ski holder-img_3183-jpg   roof racks + ski holder-img_4364-jpg  

Last edited by arcadelt; 16-06-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    I use a set of Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars on my Tig, which cost a little over $300 new. They are very low profile, lockable, and one of the few bars that come in black, which I think suits the TDI better because it has less chrome than some of the other models. The other benefit is that all the accessories that I previously used on my 15 year old Forester crossbars fit, which means I didn't have to buy them again. Also, because they have been around the Australian market forever, there are always lightly used accessories, like ski and snowboard holders, going for cheap on eBay and gumtree. However, I have no idea if they work with the sunroof.

They look great, actually the same bars I was looking at ! $318 for the bars and $220 for the ski/board holder

ROOF RACK CENTRE

ROOF RACK CENTRE

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by romaniac View Post
    ...the same bars I was looking at ! $318 for the bars and $220 for the ski/board holder
    That's the ones.

You can do better on the SCU6 ski rack though, if that's the one you have heart set on. Check out NEW Rola SKI Racks Suit Rola Sports Prorack Whispbar SCU6 | eBay. The SCU6 mounts on the bars using the channels, so you'll need to cut the rubber strip that slides in to make it fit, or just remove the strip altogether and be happy that the channel will be exposed while they are fitted.

An alternative might be this guys number 3 at Rola Roof ROD Holder SKI Snow Board Rack LA2 Lockable ARM W Keys Freight OR P U | eBay. They'll fit the same number of skis, etc, and fit over the bar. He's refurbished them himself, but then only $93 including postage.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    I've had Thule Aero bars and ski racks and they've been great.

Users Country Flag

You can always fit a ski rack onto your towbar. These ski racks tilt out of the way and can carry up to 6 sets of skis. Looks like they only work with those phallic Euro towbars and not hitches. Great idea though - easier loading then roof racks.

https://etowbars.com/au/Euro-towbar-...carriers-racks

roof racks + ski holder-ski-snowboard-towbar-carrier-ski-rack-12-700x700-jpgroof racks + ski holder-ski-snowboard-towbar-carrier-ski-rack-1-700x700-jpgroof racks + ski holder-ski-carrier-euro-towbar-9-700x700-jpg

Last edited by jack6; 07-05-2022 at 10:25 PM.