Support VWWC

Thread: Re: 2013 Tiguan 132 TSI DSG Box issues?

Re: 2013 Tiguan 132 TSI DSG Box issues?

Hey all,

As of today my partner is now the proud owner of a 2013 132 TSI Tiguan in white. Absolutely in love with it. Picked it up for about 15k, a fair enough price.

I've just got it home and have noticed that it's a 7 speed DSG Box (I thought it was a 6 speed) and I notice these are notorious for problems, what I was wondering is how bad are they and how common are they to be an issue?

The car itself drives well, smooth with a slight gearbox shift feel (i.e. you can feel a slight change in gears) Which I wouldn't think is an issue, but after reading some of the horror stories, I am a little worried.

I notice that VW had a recall to change the synthetic oil to mineral oil in the early models (2008 - 2011) but not much is said about the 2013.....

Has anyone had any experience with these? Would I be better off getting rid of the car and go with something else?

Cheers

Coxy

Long live the manual!
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

No need to worry. The Tiguan shares the heavy duty/high torque DQ500 DSG - same as in Transporter and TT-RS.

They are pretty bulletproof not like the DQ200 which is in the low end Golf/Passat/Polo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    No need to worry. The Tiguan shares the heavy duty/high torque DQ500 DSG - same as in Transporter and TT-RS.

They are pretty bulletproof not like the DQ200 which is in the low end Golf/Passat/Polo.

Hey Tigger,

That was the sort of information I needed tonight. Now I can breathe easy! I know my mechanic said the 7 speed boxes had a few issues but from what I could find on here and the net it was the early ones?

Awesome, thanks man. Gonna enjoy this tig (May even APR it =0 )
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

Yes these gearboxes can take 600Nm so you can go big turbo on these and still run it through the stock DSG.

The wet DQ500 is a completely different gearbox to the dry DQ200 your workshop is talking about.

A stage 1 tune turns these into a bit of a sleeper.

You can sleep easy. Just have to plan the upgrades now...

Last edited by tigger73; 08-07-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Yes these gearboxes can take 600Nm so you can go big turbo on these and still run it through the stock DSG.

The wet DQ500 is a completely different gearbox to the dry DQ200 your workshop is talking about.

A stage 1 tune turns these into a bit of a sleeper.

You can sleep easy. Just have to plan the upgrades now...

How does the fuel consumption go with a stage 1......cause that's how I've sold it to the missus.....

Yes dear, better fuel = you save money!!! =P=P=P
    Coxy

Quote Originally Posted by Coxy09 View Post
    How does the fuel consumption go with a stage 1......cause that's how I've sold it to the missus.....

Yes dear, better fuel = you save money!!! =P=P=P
    You’ll get better fuel economy with a stage 1 file. Just as long as you don’t stick your boot in too much Re: 2013 Tiguan 132 TSI DSG Box issues?Re: 2013 Tiguan 132 TSI DSG Box issues?Re: 2013 Tiguan 132 TSI DSG Box issues?

Congrats on the Tiggy! We got ours about 2 weeks ago and have the 6 speed gearbox (2012 model 132 tsi Pacific).

Also came here to get some reassurance, but for the timing belt rather than the DSG! I thought I missed a bullet by not getting the DSG (have had one blow up in a Jetta!).

But after reading tigger73's response it appears to be a good unit.

Whats the 6 speed like tigger73, can it take a tune? Power from the 132 TSI is pretty good, its the wife's car so not too fussed but always like to tinker (had a GTI Golf with GIAC and K04 Turbo back in 2002, very quick back then!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yapa View Post
    Also came here to get some reassurance, but for the timing belt rather than the DSG! I thought I missed a bullet by not getting the DSG (have had one blow up in a Jetta!).

But after reading tigger73's response it appears to be a good unit.

Whats the 6 speed like tigger73, can it take a tune? Power from the 132 TSI is pretty good, its the wife's car so not too fussed but always like to tinker (had a GTI Golf with GIAC and K04 Turbo back in 2002, very quick back then!)
    Yes I think I would be able to count on one hand the number of people that have reported issues with the 7 speed wet DSG (and a couple of these were with higher km Transporters used for commercial use).

The DQ500 first came out almost 10 years ago and still no major issues so I would be pretty confident buying a used car with this gearbox. There’s still questions over whether the filter needs to be replaced or not because it’s not listed in VW service manual but I’d get it changed when you get your DSG serviced every 60,000km for peace of mind.

The 6 speed auto is also a pretty reliable unit and some people prefer these for towing. The only downside of the auto is it’s a bit slower to 100 and you lose a bit in terms of fuel efficiency.

The DSG is a bit more fun to drive with paddle shifters (if you install them) and if you modify the exhaust you can get DSG farts on gear change if you’re into making it a performance SUV.

Last edited by tigger73; 09-07-2019 at 07:14 AM.