Support VWWC

Thread: Question about DGS oil level

Users Country Flag

Question Question about DSG oil level

Hi Gang,
    Can someone please point me in the wright direction for the procedure on how to correctly set the oil level in my gearbox, I have spent the best part of the day searching the net with no luck.

The specific model is a DQ500,OBT,OBH DSG in a 2010 Tiguan TDI with 4motion,I have changed oil in my Golf 6 speed by following the various you tube/forum how to's and all went well and using the expected amount of oil.

when I drained the oil I collected very close to two litres and then another three after taking out the tube used to set the level like the one in my golf,I was thinking it should be the same as my golf with only a small amount of oil coming out after removing the bung so I saw surprised when two litres came out.

I rang my local VW dealer and was told they normally do a refill of about 5.3 and they also told me it had two seperate oil chambers so now I am confused as the only DSG I could find with two chambers are in much later vehicles so I think they may have given me the wrong info , So in the end I just put back the same amount of 5 litres as I drained.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by More Grunt; 22-12-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Users Country Flag
    You overfill it, and drain the excess while the engine is running, with the vehicle level and the gearbox at 37°C.

The DQ500s take anywhere between 5 and 6 litres.

I thought 2010 only came with a tiptronic/conventional auto? Or maybe that was only the TSI ? Maybe i'm just thinking out loud! Anyone know of a DSG in a 2010?
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    You overfill it, and drain the excess while the engine is running, with the vehicle level and the gearbox at 37°C...
    Yup, definitely make sure you have the engine running when you check and top-up the fluid level to make sure you have enough in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    I thought 2010 only came with a tiptronic/conventional auto? Or maybe that was only the TSI ? Maybe i'm just thinking out loud! Anyone know of a DSG in a 2010?
    I have just checked my ElsaWin manual and there was definitely not a DSG gearbox in the 2010. If you own a 2010 Tig it is the Aisin tiptronic gearbox. The DSG gearbox only came from teh 2012 model onwards I think.

Either way, the refilling process is very similar from what I can tell reading the manual.

For the 2012 Tig, Elsa has the following:

Prerequisites
    - Adapter for filling oil - VAS6262 (you can get one off eBay pretty cheap)
    - Vehicle level, all supports in lifting platform at same height.
    - At start of work, oil temperature must not be above 45 °C.
    - Test temperature: 35 - 45 °Celsius

Checking procedure:
    1) Engine is running at idling speed with selector lever in "P".
    2) Remove drain plug. Even if oil level is too low, a small amount of oil will initially run out of oil level pipe because pipe fills up during operation - Let surplus oil flow out.
    3) Push "some" (manual recommends 1L at a time) fresh fluid into the gearbox whilst the engine is still running, then with the engine still running remove the filling adapter to see if any fluid come out.
    If oil flows out of hole in adapter, let surplus oil drain out, with the engine still running, and then replace the plug bolt when the excess has drained out.
    If no fluid drains out, push more oil in until you do get an overflow (with the engine still running)

If you're in a bind and can't wait for the oil filling adaptor, you can make one yourself - check out this guy that made a DIY replica of the filling system DIY DSG Fill Tool - VW VAS6262 | DEVIANT:SPEED
    I think I saw a thread somewhere else where the guy used his drill to bore out a hollow center of an M12 or M10 bolt then cut the head of the bolt off and that was his adaptor.

There's a pretty good write-up on how to do the job on a DSG on Vortex here VWVortex.com - DSG Fluid and Filter Technical Write-Up

It's not that difficult - good luck!

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms