Support VWWC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Panorama Sunroof blind replacement .

Users Country Flag

Someone else posted this video online

YouTube

Users Country Flag
    Hi i just had the roof lining replaced last week on my 2012 scirocco and now one side of the sunroof blind has just let go,would you be interested in repairing this for me thanks mark

Quote Originally Posted by wudy View Post
    Someone else posted this video online

YouTube
    It,s typical of posters of these sort of videos to skip over the important parts , I have now replaced in excess of sixty or more Tiguan Audi Q5 and some other VW models with the same roof roller shade / blinds . If you are attempting to do one on your own for the first time be prepared to have a second blind on hand as it could end in tears !! My first six I did ended costing me a second blind in two of them , that strip down each side is suicidal if you attempt to unroll it . After the first ten or so I managed to work out procedures to install the blind without the grief of the first ones . When we do ours we do not touch the glass panels at all they are left completely alone, we have worked out an alternative to the factory method which saves time and effort . Now the Sirroco has a totally different blind altogether, unlike the Tiguan blind its a manual operation as opposed to the Tiguan being driven by cables and motor . The Sirrocco blind is very similar to the blinds in some late model Mercedes coupes and sedans , it comes as a complete part ready to slot into the housing . The Tiguan has to be assembled in stages and then refitted with several other parts being removed along the way .

Hey Sunny43.5
    Just came across this thread. I have a 2010 Skoda superb elegance wagon with a stuffed sunroof curtain. Can you give an updated idea replacement cost. You posted before that the blinds start from $600 plus labour. What would be a current price?
    Cheers.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Hi
    Iam looking to replace bling on tiguan.
    if I purchase (I will list pats numbers) 1K9877307B. Can I just roll it pack on roller and how hard is that? do you have picture of process?
    Or you recommend buying assembly with blind allready installed in roller?
    Thanks mate!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidroe View Post
    Hey Sunny43.5
    Just came across this thread. I have a 2010 Skoda superb elegance wagon with a stuffed sunroof curtain. Can you give an updated idea replacement cost. You posted before that the blinds start from $600 plus labour. What would be a current price?
    Cheers.
    Hi
    Iam looking to replace bling on tiguan.
    if I purchase (I will list pats numbers) 1K9877307B. Can I just roll it pack on roller and how hard is that? do you have picture of process?
    Or you recommend buying assembly with blind allready installed in roller?
    Thanks mate!

Sorry for late reply I don,t venture onto the Tiguan pages very often as I drive Transporters , ok you cannot roll the fabric back onto the roller as its glued at the factory don,t bother as it will end in tears . Next the assembly you see on some websites is the actual metal housing that the blind rolls it self inside of when in place , no need for that part as you can use the original . It is not an easy job as the blinds are so fragile that one tiny mistake can destroy the brand new blind in seconds . The main issue is NEVER unwind the blind leave it as it comes or you will be sorry . Next VW changed the guides on each end of the alloy front header bar the old guides had two upright raised pieces and the metal strip just sat over the top of those raised bits . On the new blinds its very different as it has a metal locking part that fits into the metal strip and then slots into the guides themselves , it is very awkward to get that metal thing into the metal strip and its easy to damage the strip in the process , its a trial and error thing to work out the best way to fit the locator into the strip . Next VW did not make it then easy to insert the guide and strip into actual sunroof housing as the two parts have to be slotted in at the exact same time and then even after only getting the two sides started you have to refit the drive cable carefully as well . I wont go into details but my advice is to take it to a VW person who has done them and pay the money . I am sure there are more than one Tiguan owner who has wrecked a very expensive blind doing it themselves and then there is the hours spent removing the parts to access the space where the blind is fitted . So at the end of the day spend the money and get it done by professional .

Users Country Flag
    + to what Sunny43.5 said. I had this replaced by the him and after seeing the problems Im glad paid for this.

just a side note. When you have the roof liner down check the sunroof mounting bolts. Mine were loose and some finger tight. Easy job once the roof liner is down. Much more annoying when you have the remove the trim again to tighten them. A drop of loctite 243 will do the bolts for the rest of its life i hope.
    side note #2: reseal with window sealer your water drain pipes. Pay special attention to the boots which connect the silicone pipe to the metal spouts near the sunroof frame.

[QUOTE
    side note #2: reseal with window sealer your water drain pipes. Pay special attention to the boots which connect the silicone pipe to the metal spouts near the sunroof frame. Yes as Tek199 said if you disturb the roof trim to do any work on the blind etc, there is a chance the drain tubes will leak afterwards , the silicone end fittings are self locking to the housing and due to heat they just let go and then start to leak onto the roof trim . We actually use hose clamps to hold them in place properly and then use sealant to smear around the join of the silicone part to the blue hose that runs to the road , these can also leak . Its a pissy idea to not use some sort of clamp from factory and the join itself is also a stupid design .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast